Minutes‎ > ‎

January 2019 minutes

posted Feb 14, 2019, 3:24 AM by Rehoboth PTSA   [ updated Mar 8, 2019, 1:30 PM ]

Rehoboth PTSA Meeting January 9, 2019

Palmer River Library

Call to Order by Susan Bogosian at 6:34pm

I.  Review of December Meeting Minutes

Minutes amended by omitting the words “without receipt” under Staff Appreciation Issue.  Minutes will read, “After much discussion Jennifer Moitoso proposes and Traci Cady seconds a motion to vote on payment, 10 voted in favor of paying, 2 against”.  

Minutes are approved.

II.  Treasurer report

November bank statement is not available to review, report given is current through the end of Oct 2018.

Staples invoice submitted for flyers/copies made, will be split between three committees. 

Due to incomplete paperwork submitted to Treasurer for reimbursement requests, there have been times it is unclear which committees/events the funds should be attached to.  Susan B asks that all check requests and deposit forms be submitted with proper paperwork going forward.  It was suggested a line be added to the Deposit Form to more clearly state the name of committee/event for deposit. 

III.  Principal Reports

Mrs. Miguel reports an increase in planned events for both adults and children.   On 1/18 PRES will participate in “What would you like to become”, an event encouraging ideas of future careers.  On 1/23 schools have an Early Dismissal, faculty will be working on midyear assessments, will delve into results for reviews and discuss challenges.  On 1/25 the Bridges Program will present to Grade 2 students.  This program is run through the Museum of Science and teaches problem solving skills through the task of building bridges.  On 2/1 students are encouraged to dress in their team apparel in preparation for the Superbowl. During the week of 2/4 students will create Valentine Cards for local seniors.  The week of 2/11 is Spirit Week with more details to come. 

Mr. Shea announced a BMS Dance scheduled for this Friday.  Activities will include a Snowball fight, and a Picture Booth for students.  On 1/15 BMS students will participate in the Geography Bee.  On 2/12 two BMS Robotics teams will compete at Roger Williams University.  In December students had the opportunity to participate in the Budgeting Buddies Program, educating students in skills such as how to save money and balance a checkbook.  On 1/23, Early Dismissal day, BMS Faculty will participate in trainings within departments. 

IV.  Committee Reports

Jenn M. reports on 1/24 the Book Club will meet at Hillside Country Club to discuss the book, “You Are Not Special”. 

Jenn M. reports Rehoboth PTSA Ski Club at BMS is up and running, 29 students are registered, several parents have volunteered to chaperone. 

Karen D. reports on 1/26 the P Bruins Night at the Dunkin Donuts Center. 

Karen D. reports on 2/8 String Quartet will perform at BMS for 4th and 5th grade students.

Nancy B. reports on 2/7 USA Skate Event, includes free hot fudge sundaes.

Reflections Art Contest for all PRES and BMS students, information has been sent out to families.  Judges will be at PRES on 1/23 to preview entries. 

As stated in our Bylaws we must organize a Nominating Committee to assist in filling open Board Positions and Committee Chair Positions.  Information will be sent out in January. 

Susan B. reports the Silent Auction is in the beginning phase of planning and will continue to look for a venue.  Jenn M. will reach out to Five Bridge Inn to check on dates available. 

V.  New Business

Traci C. reports the Rehoboth PTSA website being down, information and recent posts had been deleted.   Susan B. and Traci C. will look into this further and email Mr. Pearse.

Kate C. discussed starting a Lego’s /Robotics program at PRES.  Mrs. Miguel shared that STEAM teacher has been planning something such as this.  Kate suggested having a Lego drive to help with materials necessary for this program. 

Nikki G. shared the idea of researching Bee Grants for the PRES property.  The comfortability and safety of having bees on school grounds was discussed.  It was felt by a few that it would be best to look into a Butterfly Garden.