A SHORT HISTORICAL NOTE ON THE DHST
When UNESCO was founded, it established links with other bodies, more particularly, it set up a partnership with the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU), which had been founded in 1931. New scientific Unions were set up and the Academy was invited to elaborate the Statutes of the International Union of History of Science (IUHS), which were adopted in 1947, at the time when IUHS joined ICSU. On its side, the International Union of Philosophy of Science (IUPS) was created in 1949, but was not immediately admitted as a member of ICSU.
Term of office:
Serves for a period of four years, after which he/she automatically becomes Past President for four years.
- acts as Chairman of the General Assembly as well as the Council and Executive Committee meetings
- has an additional casting vote in all cases where the number of votes cast for and against a proposal are equal
- the President or the Secretary General should attend the International Congress of the other Division
- is ex officio member of the DHST-DLMPS Joint Commission
- gives the opening address during the Division's International Congress
- in the event of the Secretary General or the Treasurer being unable to exercise his/her functions, the President nominates a person to replace him/her with approval of the majority of the Council
- if a third or more of the Ordinary Members call for an extraordinary General Assembly with a precise agenda, the President must convene the Assembly within 6 months of notification.
ASSISTANT SECRETARY GENERAL
Proposal to host an international congress