Helpful information and documents to prepare for MCA Math, Reading and Science Tests.
Training Management System - Test Monitors and proctors must complete Test Monitor modules: Test Security Training (5 minutes), Preparing for Online Testing (10 Minutes) and Active Monitoring (5 Minutes)
MCA Online Student Directions These directions are part of the actual testing experience which will be displayed on the testing screen after the students have logged in to start the test. They are self-directed and not intended to do as a class.
Directions for Online Test Administration - Directions and script to be used on MCA testing days.
Online Student Tutorial MCA There are three different tutorials to use with your students days before the testing begins. These tutorials include: Navigation Tutorial, Tools Tutorial, and Item Type Tutorial. These are not practice tests. They are only to help students experience the testing features.
MCA Assessment Item Details: For each grade level and type of test (math, science, reading), you will be able to find out all of the details about the question types included on the MCA test.
MCA Test Specs: For each grade level and type of test (math, science, and reading), you will be able to find the specific test specifications for the MCA test.
MCA Achievement Level Descriptors Math, Science and Reading all grades- 8/13/14
ONLINE ITEM SAMPLERS
STUDENT FORMULA SHEETS
CALCULATORS FOR PRACTICE
Grades 3-5 Basic Calculator - Science and Grades 3-5 Math This calculator is available in the grades 3, 4, and 5 Mathematics MCA, Mathematics OLPA, and the grades 5, 8, and high school Science MCA. It is different in appearance than the calculator available in the item samplers and operational test, but all calculator functionality is the same.
Grades 6 and 7 Math Scientific Calculator This calculator is available in the grades 6 and 7 Mathematics MCA and Mathematics OLPA. It is different in appearance than the calculator available in the item samplers and operational test, but all calculator functionality is the same.
Grades 8 and 11 Math Graphing Calculator This calculator is available in the grades 8 and 11 Mathematics MCA and Mathematics OLPA. It is different in appearance than the calculator available in the item samplers and operational test, but all calculator functionality is the same.
Using Chromebooks for Testing
When using chromebooks for testing, there are some troubleshooting steps that can be taken to be proactive and reactive to issues. NOTE: you need to check these things before starting testing.
1. If the display size is not correct (too big and everything doesn't fit on screen or too small), you can reset it back to the correct size. Also, sometimes kids mess with the display colors. Here are directions on how to fix both of these issues. Display Settings
2. The chromebook can act sluggish or not run properly if there are many saved files on the device. In that case, before testing, we should delete those files off the chromebook so it has more "space" to work well. Deleting Files
3. On chromebooks that are on carts, there are often many users that login to the same chromebook. This takes up "space" on the chromebook and can also cause the chromebook to not run properly. Please delete all users on each chromebook before the testing season begins. Deleting Users
4. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO PLUG HEADPHONES INTO CHROMEBOOKS BEFORE TURNING ON THE CHROMEBOOKS WHEN TESTING. ALSO, ADJUST THE SOUND LEVEL BEFORE LOGGING IN.
Test Administration Estimated Times
- Testing in sessions: Testing should NOT be scheduled based on the number of sections because they are not equal in length and are not designed to be useful to schedule test administration. If you want all students to finish a session somewhat in the same place, go by number of items in the test.