Detroit Lakes Native American Education Programs
Mission: Improve American Indian student achievement and graduation rates through academically rigorous, culturally responsive instruction, family and student engagement and collaborative partnerships with school and community.
Vision: All American Indian students are empowered as lifelong learners to become fully engaged leaders, stewards, and citizens.
Title VI & World's Best Workforce NA Plan: Below is a list of things permitted through state and federal regulations
* School supplies - help can be given for supplies needed for the classroom via donations from the United Way at the beginning of the school year
* Testing - state and federal regulations allow monetary assistance for testing that requires a fee (IE: ACT test)
* Material/craft supplies - Detroit Lakes Drum and Dance team members are eligible to receive assistance for regalia
* PE clothing - shirts and shorts for PE maybe partially funded only after all other funding has been exhausted
* Band/choir fees - fees maybe partially funded only after all other funding has been exhausted
Here is a list of things NOT allowed according to state and federal regulations (food including lunches and snacks, pictures, white card fees, clothing or shoes related to winter wear, sports, extracurricular, items for summer programs, graduation caps/gowns, and travel that is not school sponsored)
JOM: Any student that is an enrolled member or eligible to be enrolled in any Native American tribe is eligible for JOM. JOM board meetings are every 3rd Wednesday at the Detroit Lakes Public Library. Everyone is welcome to attend. This program supplements with certain costs that a parent or student may incur during the school year. Proof of purchase such as a receipt is required for reimbursement. Please contact Miriam Hanson, with your requests for allowable items including child name, grade, and school (email@example.com or 218.234.7545). Allowable costs (school supplies, backpacks, gym clothing/shoes). Unallowable costs (graduation announcements, class pictures/rings, letter jackets, personal clothing, and juice/milk break fees).
* Karen Nudell - Director of Federal Programs firstname.lastname@example.org
* Joe Carrier - Native American Education Coordinator email@example.com or 218.847.9228 ext 3109
* Sam Murphy- Student Interventionist, Roosevelt firstname.lastname@example.org
* TBD - Drum & Dance/Cultural Activities
* Jack Warren- Quizbowl Coach email@example.com
* Lisa Mickelson - Assistant/Tutor Middle School firstname.lastname@example.org or 218.847.9228 ext 3109
* Jodi Roy- Elementary Paraprofessional email@example.com
* Cody Bahls - Elementary Paraprofessional firstname.lastname@example.org
* Barb Groth - Elementary Paraprofessional
* Mike Swan - American Indian Cultural Liaison email@example.com or 218.847.9228 ext 2158