Welcome to the Del Norte County Unified School District. Our schools have been the starting point for thousands of local children for over 100 years. We are proud to provide focused instruction in the fundamentals as well as creative arts and preparation for careers. Success starts here in Del Norte County.
Graduates from Del Norte Unified School District have been successful in many of our nation’s most prestigious universities. Graduates have successfully achieved their goals through other means, too, including participation in California and Oregon training programs. They leave our schools well prepared for many options.
Our teachers participate in continuous evaluation of their students’ achievement. We provide state of the art training to help them acquire and develop new strategies to ensure that all children succeed.
Our principals and teachers dedicate time to helping our students learn how to work well with others. We are diligent to provide a safe and nurturing environment for our children where they can learn the academic and social skills necessary to get them off to a good start. Our schools are distinguished from others by their culture of high expectations and collaboration.
We want to give you the opportunity to see the great work going on in our classrooms and on our playgrounds each day, so you can see why we say, “Success Starts Here.” I welcome you to call or come by to visit with me, and I’ll take you on a tour of our schools and introduce you to teachers and principals who are dedicated to doing “whatever it takes” to help your children succeed.
Thank you for considering Del Norte Schools. We hope you choose us when you are looking for the best opportunity for your child. We want to partner with you to assure that your children’s success truly does start here in Del Norte County!
Superintendent Moorehouse's Resume
• Superintendent, Del Norte County Unified School District and Del Norte County Superintendent of Schools—July 2005 to Present
• Principal, Del Norte County High School—July 2001 to June 2005
• Principal, Jurupa Valley High School—August 1996 to June 2001
• Director, Instructional Support Services, Riverside County Office of Education—November 1993 to August 1996
• Coordinator, Curriculum and Instruction, Riverside County Office of Education—January 1991 to November 1993
• Assistant Principal, Ramona High School, Riverside, CA—November 1987 to December 1990
• Assistant Principal, Loma Vista Intermediate School, Riverside, CA—November 1986 to November 1987
• English Teacher, Ramona High School, Riverside, CA—April 1980 to November 1986
• Preliminary and Professional Administrative Services Credential—1984 to 1990, UC Riverside
• B.A. and M.A., English--1977 and 1980, Loma Linda University, Riverside, CA
• Leading the Leaders—July through April 2005-2006
• Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment Training, January –May 2001
• Association of California School Administrators, Principals’ Institute, UCLA, 2000
• Association of California School Administrators / American Association of School Administrators Curriculum Management
• Project AVID Regional Site Director Training, 1992
• American Association of School Administrators Strategic Planning Facilitator Training, 1991
• Association for Supervision of Curriculum Development Assisting Change in Education, 1991
• California School Leadership Academy, 1989
Professional and Community Organizations
• Member, The California Endowment, Del Norte Stakeholders’ Committee and Grant Compliance Committee, 2009 to 2010
• Member, Northern California Superintendents’ Organization, 2009 to present
• Member, Physician Recruitment and Retention Committee, 2007 to present
• Commissioner, First 5 Del Norte, 2005 to present
• President, Rotary Club of Crescent City, July 2005 to June 2006
• Secretary, Advisory Board of the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Redwoods, 2004 to 2009
• Association of California School Administrators, 1986 to present
• U.C. Riverside School of Education Advisory Board, Administrative Credential Program, 2000-2001
• Delta Kappa Gamma, Chapter President, 1988-90
• Phi Delta Kappa, 1986-88
• Junior League of Riverside, 1986-1989
Fellowships and Awards
• Association of California School Administrators Region 1 Administrator of the Year, Secondary Principal, 2002-2003
• California School Leadership Academy 1995 Riverside Regional Merit Award
• National Endowment for the Humanities 1986 Fellowship
• California Literature Project 1985 Fellowship, UCLA
• Council for Basic Education and National Endowment for the Humanities 1984 Summer Study Fellowship, Latin American Literature
• Inland Area Writing Project Fellowship, 1984
Publications and Presentations
• Author, “Out of Paranoia, Into the Comfort Zone,” Administrative Case Studies, 1989: Far West Labs.
• Contributing author, “Implications for Supervision,” Literature for All Students: A Sourcebook for Teachers.
• Seminar Address, “Ethical and Reflective Leadership,” Aspiring Superintendents’ Training, ACSA, 2009, 2010
• Seminar Address, “Diversity and the Superintendent,” Aspiring Superintendents’ Training, ACSA, 2008
• Keynote address, August 1993, Granite Hill School District, Utah—Topic: Shared Decision Making
• Keynote address, October 1992, Colton/Bloomington High Schools—Topic: Conversations about Change
• Keynote address, November 1992, Jurupa Valley High School—Topic: Shared Decision Making
• Keynote Address, October 1992, Middle Schools, Victor Valley Union High School District—Topic: Rethinking Our Business
• Strategic Planning Facilitation: Banning USD, Jurupa USD, Ontario High, Rubidoux High, Palm Springs High, Cajon High,
• Five-day seminar, 1992 AVID Summer Institute, San Diego—Topic: Leadership
• CSLA Trainer: “Interventions,” “Vision,” and “Vocational Education” modules
• Keynote addresses, November and April, 1985-86, Garden Grove U.S.D.—Topic: Literature in High School English