- Crash by Nicole Williams, plus sequels Clash and Crush (VHHS has book 1 and book 3 -- I know, I know. We're fixing that gap!)
- The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (VHHS has 1 copy). Group agreed that this book from 1967 is still a great read!
- The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay (VHHS has 1 copy)
- This book and 9 others won the Alex Award, given every year by the American Library Association for 10 books published for adults that are best for teen readers.
- See the whole list on the LMC Catalog. Click Resource Lists, then choose Alex Award.
- Your poems, stories or artwork could be published in Whispers of Immortality, the VHHS literary magazine. There is a submission box in the LMC.
- Please vote for your favorite book nominated for the Illinois Teen Choice Award. Use a paper ballot in the LMC, or use this online voting link.
- Congratulations to Book Club member Jacky Toledo who was a winner in the LMC's February contest to encourage voting. Winners get a free copy of their choice of nominated books.
- In the last week of the contest starting Mon Feb 24, there will be many, many winners, so make sure you get your name in the hat.
- Mrs. Tolva's prediction that Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell would be on the 2015 Illinois Teen Choice Award nomination list came true!
- We talked about the 22 books nominated for next year's award. See the whole list here.
- Thanks to Mandy, Mikayla, Karla, Joceline and Estefany for working Concession Stand last week. You're so sweet to work for the good of the club on Valentine's Day!
- Happy Birthday Shayna! She is a 4-year book club member, and we wish her a wonderful 18th birthday. XXOO
- Please come help run Concession Stand from 5-8:30 p.m. TODAY (or as long as you can stay). This job is the way Book Club is going to earn money for continued hot chocolate, so we need your help!
- VOTE for your favorite book nominated for the Illinois Teen Choice Award. Voting is open through the month of February, with the statewide winner announced the first week of March.
- Add these to your lifetime reading list: 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime. Amazon.com gathered this list of childhood and adult favorites.
- Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick (VHHS has 1 copy)
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (VHHS has 1 copy and downloadable audio book)
- Wish You Were Dead by Todd Strasser (VHHS has 1 copy in print and 6 copies on Nooks)
- Love in the Time of Global Warming by Francesca Lia Block (VHHS has 1 copy)
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Also see movie trailer in post below. (VHHS has 5 copies and 6 copies on Nooks)
Thanks to Karla Contreras, Makayla Wiley, Joceline Montes, and Estefany Mata for working concession stand on Thurs Jan 30. Your time helped Book Club so much!
Our next concession stand work day is 5-8:30 p.m. Fri Feb 14. It's Shayna's birthday, and also Valentine's Day. If what happened to Karla, Makayla, Joceline and Estefany happens again, then you could meet some cute guys or girls while working the concession stand!
- Following Christopher Creed by Carol Plum-Ucci (VHHS has 1 copy on order)
- Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews (VHHS has 1 copy on order)
- Dear Life, You Suck by Scott Blagden (VHHS has 1 copy)
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, honorable mention for 2014 American Library Association Printz Award for best young adult book of the year (VHHS has 1 copy and downloadable audio book)
- Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
- Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina
Here is the movie trailer for "The Fault in Our Stars," based on the book by the same name by John Green.
- Please come help! Book Club is selling concessions on Tues Jan 28 and Fri Feb 14. The inside concession stand is open from 5-8:30 p.m. but it's okay to volunteer for a shorter time within that window. We need to make money to continue to offer free hot chocolate at our "Starbooks" lounge.
- Author Jay Asher (Thirteen Reasons Why, The Future of Us) will be speaking at 7 p.m. Tues Feb 4 at Stevenson High School. All readers are welcome, but you have to register online.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (VHHS has 5 copies, plus downloadable ebook and audiobook)
- Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (VHHS has 1 copy, plus downloadable ebook and audiobook)
- Troy by Adele Geras (VHHS has 1 copy)
Mrs. Stevens and Mrs. Tolva met 16 book lovers at the 8th Grade Orientation on Tues Jan 21. We collected personal email accounts so we can send our an invitation to attend the first Book Club meetings next school year.
Calling all Book Club members!
Please come out for these important club dates:
- Tues Jan 21 6-8 p.m. Main Gym: 8th Grade Orientation. We need you to help welcome our future Book Club members.
- Tues Jan 28 5-8:30 p.m. inside Concession stand: Please work shift 1 (5-6:30 p.m.) or Shift 2 (6:30-8:30 p.m.) and help raise money for continued hot chocolate at our "Starbooks" lounge every Friday.
- Fri Feb 14 5-8:30 p.m. inside Concession stand: Please work shift 1 (5-6:30 p.m.) or Shift 2 (6:30-8:30 p.m.) and help raise more money for those treats you like every Friday morning.
We wish all of our fellow readers a happy new year of new books!
- Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. VHHS does not have a copy - yet!
- Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. (VHHS has 1 copy). Same author as Elantris, mentioned at our last Dec meeting.
- The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd (VHHS has 1 copy). Great horror book!
- Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan
- Man Made Boy by Jon Skovron
- And a few others on the topic of "Are we human?"
Seasons' Readings from Book Club!
Enjoy your vacation and more time to read.