Major changes to the tour permit policy have been announced. Effective March 1st, the online tour permit system will be discontinued. Units will now file a Tour Plan (see attached). The Tour Plan will only be required when leaving the council’s boundaries or when activities include acquatics, climbing, shooting, motor sports, etc (if the event is run by the Council or a District, no Tour Plan is required). No more tour permits just for going to the town next door.
"Tour Permit" Converting to "Tour Plan"
Effective March 1, 2011, National has modified their policy and what are currently known as local and national tour permits will be superseded by what will be called the tour plan. *The online tour permit system will also be suspended. This update is the accumulation of work by a cross-functional team of volunteers and staff from National including the Health and Safety Support Committee, Council Solutions, Outdoor Program Group, and Risk Management Advisory Panels.
Here is the definition of the tour plan in the Language of Scouting: "Units complete this form when planning for local, national, or international adventure. The plan helps ensure the unit is properly prepared, that qualified and trained leadership is in place, and that the right equipment is available for the adventure."
The plan is available at this link: http://RiskZone.ppbsa.org/pdf/TourPlan.pdf
What is different?
- The council is the reviewer of all tour plans and there is no review required from the region office.
- The tour plan consists of a tour planning worksheet to be completed by the unit/contingent. It is retained by the council and a tour plan is returned to the unit after processing.
- Please allow at least a 14-day advanced notice to allow for council approval.
- All submissions should be directed to Barbara Bross who can be reached at 973-765-9322 X222, by Fax: 973-765-9143, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A tour plan must be filed for all trips outside of The Patriots' Path Council borders (Sussex County, Morris County, Somerset County, Union County, Middlesex County) except for properties that are owned by The Patriots' Path Council owned property which includes Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation (Camp Somers and Camp Wheeler), Camp Winnebago Scout Reservation, and Sabattis Adventure Camp.
- All events outside of Council and District sponsored events which include aquatics activities, climbing and rappelling, orientation flights, shooting sports, and any activities involving motorized vehicles as part of the program require a tour plan regardless of location.
- At Patriots' Path Council’s request, a tour plan may be requested for any upcoming unit events.
- Requirements for qualified supervision, training, insurance, etc., remain unchanged. For example, CPR and Wilderness First Aid requirements for high-adventure camps.
- All activities must adhere to the policies contained in the Guide to Safe Scouting and the Sweet 16 of BSA Safety.
- The old Tour Permit form will not be accepted effective July 1st.
Hosted by Patriot's Path and Northern New Jersey Councils
Wood Badge Course (N7-358-11-1)
September 10-12 AND October 1-3, 2011
You must attend both weekends!
For more information, contact Mike Sass at email@example.com or at 973-765-9322 ext. 248
The "EARLY BIRD SPECIAL" $13 tuition rate
is about to expire for the
Patriots' Path Council University of Scouting!
Get your registration in by midnight on 9/12 to save yourself some money!
WHEN is the University of Scouting?
Saturday, October 24, 2009
WHERE is the University of Scouting?
Randolph Middle School, 507 Millbrook Avenue, Randolph, NJ 07869
WHAT is the University of Scouting?
A day-long training experience - 8:00am to 3:30pm
Supplemental Training, Idea Sharing & FUN! FUN! FUN!
Additional Practical Information Beyond Essentials and Specific Training
Valuable sessions for even the most experienced leader - over 135 courses!
Who can attend?
ALL Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing Leaders - including Youth Leaders
½-day BSA Den Chief Training will be offered, too –
Use this link for Den Chief Training info: