About

Contact Information


CATHEDRAL OF ST. RAYMOND SCHOOL MISSION STATEMENT


The Cathedral of St. Raymond School is a faith community that develops life-long learners by teaching and living Catholic values within a strong tradition of spirituality, academic excellence, service to others, and social development.



 

CATHEDRAL OF ST. RAYMOND SCHOOL PHILOSOPHY


The Cathedral of St. Raymond School, as a member of the community of Cathedral of St. Raymond Parish, places faith development at the core of its existence.  The message of Jesus is conveyed to our students as they actively engage in learning Catholic doctrine, worshipping together and serving a diverse society.

 

The Cathedral of St. Raymond School believes that the parent is the primary educator of the child.  Together with the parents, we believe that The Cathedral of St. Raymond School provides a Catholic scholastic environment that nurtures each child with love and respect for self and others.  Because we build upon each child’s God-given talents and abilities, students develop skills to make them active and responsible members of the Cathedral of St. Raymond Church, the community, and the world.  The Cathedral of St. Raymond School acknowledges the potential of each child and strives to contribute to each student’s intellectual, physical, social, and spiritual development.



 HISTORY


St. Raymond Parish was founded June 28, 1917 by Archbishop Mundelein of the Archdiocese of Chicago in response to the needs of the increasing population on Joliet’s new west side.

 

Fr. Francis Scanlan, an Assistant Pastor of Holy Cross Church in Chicago, received notice of his new assignment on the morning of June 29, 1917.  By midday, he was on his way to Joliet [archives note that he was driven in an automobile] to begin his first and only pastorate.

 

In November of 1917 ground was broken for the new church on Douglas Street.  The church was completed and the first Mass celebrated on December 8, 1918 – the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

 

The school was also underway and the first 178 students were enrolled in September of 1918 under the watchful eye of the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate. Enrollment increased rapidly according to Fr. Scanlan, “because we had no better boosters than our 178 school children.”

 

The initial classroom space was quickly out grown and the school was expanded several times in the following decades.  At Fr. Scanlan’s insistence, land to the north was acquired for playgrounds and future growth.  Today the Cathedral of St. Raymond School has over 520 students enrolled in Early Childhood through 8th grade.



Cathedral of St. Raymond School

608 North Raynor Avenue
Joliet, IL  60435

(815) 722-6626
(815) 727-4668 (fax)

Parking and front entrance located behind the Church


608 N Raynor Ave