St. Peter Martyr School
Time : 12:00 - 2:45 - five days a week
Age: 4 years old
Our Pre-Kindergarten program strives to provide each child a safe, caring and nurturing environment. Our curriculum is individualized to meet the needs and abilities of each child. No comparison of children with other children is made. We stress the importance of using good manners and teach the children to respect and appreciate one another.
Our Pre-Kindergarten program offers a variety of activities designed to enrich children’s experiences, to expand their language abilities, to provide reading readiness, to teach math readiness, and to extend cooperative social behavior. Through our “Discovering God’s World” and Stories of God’s Love Religion program, the children learn about Jesus and His friends.
Throughout the year the children work on skills such as color and shape recognition, letter and number recognition, counting and one-to-one correspondence. We help the children to develop their small motor skills by teaching them to color within the lines, to cut well with scissors, to print their name, letters and numbers. We also work on large motor skills - throwing, catching, hopping...
A typical Pre-Kindergarten day consists of:
1. An activity time: During this time children may choose from a variety of activities. We have a children’s block area, a computer area, and a book area.
Children may also choose to build with Duplos, Legos, Lincoln Logs, blocks... and we have a variety of puzzles and other activities.
During this time students also work in small groups on a special activity or project with the teacher and/or teacher assistant.
2. A story time: After cleaning up their activities the children gather on the carpet for a story. Our stories are usually related to what we are working on for the day. (shapes, colors, letters...)
3. A structured learning time: Children work on a lesson which relates to our topic (colors, shapes, letters, numbers...). As each child finishes their “work” they then choose to work with puzzles , look at books, work on the computer...
4. A snack time: A nutritious snack is provided for each child. At the beginning of the year parents are asked to pay a $40.00 snack/classroom fee.
5. Outdoor play time: Children have a variety of climbing structures and slides.
6. End of day circle time: Children gather on the carpet for finger plays and/or songs.
7. Dismissal time: Children are dismissed to their parents, carpool driver...
Our Pre-Kindergarten is licensed through the state of California. For safety reasons all children must be signed in and out of Pre-K each day by an authorized adult. Our maximum class size is 24 students. There is one teacher and one teacher aide.
The Pre-Kindergarten program is a Kindergarten readiness program. It is recommended that children be at least 4 years old before entering Pre-K. All students must be fully potty-trained and be able to easily separate from mom and dad.
“What we learn with pleasure we never forget”