- Higgs, G. E. (2007). Psychology: Knowing the self through arts. Ch. 46 in G. J. Knowles, & A. L. Cole (Eds.), The handbook of the arts in qualitative research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Higgs, G. E. & Budd, J. (2007). Toward an authentic ethos for online higher education. Policy Futures in Education. 5(4). 507-515
Hoellering, S. & Higgs, G. E. (2007, Spring). Action research, classroom management and emancipatory education. Tennessee Education. 36(1) 23-25.
Shannon, B. & Higgs, G. E. (2006, Spring). Psychological factors necessary for successful teaching and learning in multicultural classrooms. Tennessee Education. 35(1), 15-17.
Higgs, G. E., & Budd, J. (2005). The illusory ethos of distance education. In B. Rockenback & T. Mendina, (Eds.), Ethics and electronic information: A festschrift for Stephen Almagno. New York, NY: McFarland.
Budd, J. M., & Higgs, G. E. (2004). Ethical management of organizations: Giving voice to all. International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management. 4. Article: MC04-0047-2004.
Higgs, G. E., & Budd, J. (2004). Ethics of push technology and the emergence of norms. In T. Mendina & J. J. Britz, (Eds.), Information Ethics in the Electronic Age: Current Issues in Africa and the World. New York, NY: McFarland.
Higgs, G. E. (2001) question cards: A tried and true method to improve classroom instruction. The Journal of Critical Success Factors Teaching. 13(5), 3.
- Brooks, C. M. & Higgs, G. E. (2001). Preferred relationship styles in the college classroom. Tennessee Education, 31(1), 19-25.
- Sherman, A. C., Higgs, G. E., & Williams, R. L. (1997). Gender differences in the locus of control construct. Psychology and Health, 12(2), 239-248.
- Higgs, G. E. (1997). A college teaching lesson learned from emotionally disturbed children. The Teaching Professor, 11(7), 6.
- Higgs, G. E. & Tarsi, N. L. (1997). New learning and agency in the student at-promise. Chapter in At-risk youth: Theory, practice reform. (Robert Kronick (Ed.). New York: Garland Press.
- Armbrister, R. & Higgs, G. E. (1996). Instructional conversation: Encouraging diversity in the classroom. Tennessee Education, 26(1), 14-16.
- Higgs, G. E. (1996). Jordan: An allegorical novel exploring meaning in educational and counseling psychology. Ann Arbor, MI: UMI.
- Higgs, G. E. (1995). Rethinking Locus of Agency in the At-Risk Condition. ERIC Document ED394110.
- Higgs, G. E. (1995). Preferences of Participating and Non-Participating Students for Different Pedagogical Methods. ERIC Document ED384604.
- Higgs, G. E., and Plummer, K. (1995). Emotions in teaching: The relationship between students and teachers and the effect on learning. Tennessee Education, 25(1), 23-24.
- Higgs, G. E., and Franklin M. L. (1994). Building bridges for at-risk students. Tennessee Education, 24(2),10-12.
- Higgs, G. E. (1994). Multidisciplinary teams: a tool for alternative schools. Tennessee Educational Leadership, 21(2),10-12.
- Conference Presentations
Higgs, G. E. & Miller, C. (2009, April). Personality and Problem-Solving. Organizational Psychology Workshop Conducted for Registrar's Office Staff Development Retreat. Columbia College, Columbia, MO.
Shannon, B, M. Hill, H., & Higgs, G. E. (2009). Relevance of perspective and power in information seeking studies. Presented at the 31st Annual Research Symposium: Power and Politics: Communications and Information. College of Communications and Information, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN.
Shannon, B. M., Higgs, G. E., & Budd, J. (2007). Quality participation and deliberative democratic practices. Presented at the 2007 annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association. Chicago, IL.
Higgs, G. E., Shannon, B. M., & Budd, J. (2006). Deliberative Democracy and Teacher Preparation. Presented at the 2006 annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association. San Francisco, CA.
Budd, J. & Higgs, G. E. (2004, August). Ethical Management of Organizations: Giving voice to all. Presented at The Fourth International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organizations. Greenwich, UK.
Higgs, G. E. & Budd, J. (2003, October). The illusory ethos of distance education. Presented at The Ethics of Electronic Information in the 21st Century: Annual Scholarly Symposium, Memphis TN.
Higgs, G. E. & Budd, J. (2002, October). Ethics of push technology and the emergence of norms. Presented at The Ethics of Electronic Information in the 21st Century: Annual Scholarly Symposium, Memphis TN.
Higgs, G. E. & Perkins, M. (2002, August). Aggressive online discourse: Managing deindividuation that results from perceived anonymity. Presented at the 18th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning.
Perkins, M. & Higgs, G. E. (2002, August). Aggression in the online classroom: Unintended consequences of computer mediated communication. Presented at the 18th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning.
Higgs, G. E. & Howell, M. (2002, July). Q and A cards: A powerful instructional tool for the freshman seminar. Presented at the 15th International Conference on the First Year Experience. Bath, England.
Gaia, A. C., Kiser, B. M., Miller, S. A., & Higgs, G. E. (1998, November). The social psychology of teaching: Student perceptions of the ideal college classroom. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Society of Southeastern Social Psychologists, Athens, GA.
Higgs, G. E. (1995). Threads of human agency in the fabric of at-risk populations: Tailoring the personal to the global cut. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the Mid-South Educational Research Association, Biloxi MS.
Higgs, G. E., Givonetti, R. M., & Williams, R. L. (1995, April). Participating and non-participating students evaluate pedagogical methods. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco CA.
Higgs, G. E., & Franklin, M. L. (1994, August). Building bridges for at-risk students. Workshop presented at the annual convention of the East Tennessee Education Association, Knoxville, TN.
Higgs, G. E., & Franklin, M. L. (1994). Building bridges for at-risk students. Paper presented at the 37th annual convention of the Tennessee Counseling Association, Chattanooga, TN.
Higgs, G. E. (1993). Best Practices for at-risk populations. Paper presented at 36th annual convention of the Tennessee Counseling Association, Memphis, TN.
Higgs, G. E. (1993). Best Practices for at-risk students: teacher input workshop. Workshop conducted at the 18th annual meeting of the East Tennessee Education Association, Knoxville, TN.
Higgs, G. E. & Holley, L.C. (1986). Awakening to child sexual abuse: A history of intervention in child sexual abuse in Southern Appalachia. Paper presented at the 6th international congress of the International Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect, Sydney, Australia.
- American Psychological Association
- American Educational Research Association
- American Counseling Association
In addition to teaching a regular course load, chairing a thriving Psychology and Sociology department, actively participating in college community activities, and supporting college athletics, I am currently (2011-2012 academic year) focusing my energy in the following academic community programs and committees at Columbia College:
- Instructional Facilities, Resources and Support Committee, member.
- Handbook Committee.
- Campus Hearing Board
- Campus Advisor for Fulbright Grants
- Financial Aid Appeals Committee
- Recycling Committee
- Sponsor for Psychology Club
- Co-sponsor for Travel Club
- Honors Council