You received money.

Congratulations, but now you have to pay taxes.

Forms that may look familiar. You should bring these to your accountant or tax professional. You should also know that any of these forms that you receive, the IRS also receives a copy automatically, from the person/company who issued them.
  • W-2: Employee compensation
    • From your employer to you. Most taxpayers get one every year.
  • 1099-A: acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property
  • 1099-B: Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions
  • 1099-C: Cancellation of Debt
    • Forgiven debt from a credit company or bank. Not to be confused with renegotiated debt.
  • 1099-CAP: Changes in Corporate Control and Capital Structure
  • 1099-DIV: Dividends and Distributions
    • Usually from owning stocks.
  • 1099-G: Government Payments
    • examples: unemployment, refunded taxes
  • 1099-H: Health Insurance Advance Payments
    • extra money paid from your health insurer to you directly, taxable if not use to pay for medical expenses.
  • 1099-INT: Interest Income
    • Any interest bearing bank account, or any interest earned from a loan that you gave someone else.
  • 1099-LTC: Long Term Care Benefits
  • 1099-MISC: Miscellaneous Income
    • Usually associated with independent contractors in place of a W-2, or between companies for services. A note about 1099-MISC, there is usually no withholding like there is for a W-2, so all of the taxes that are owed for the money that was paid is the sole responsibility of the recipient. If you were expecting to get a W-2 and you received a 1099-MISC instead, you should start looking for business deductions.
  • 1099-OID: Original Issue Discount
  • 1099-PATR: Taxable Distributions Received From Cooperatives
  • 1099-Q: Payment from Qualified Education Programs
  • 1099-R: Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement Plans, IRAs, or Insurance Contracts
    • Usually referred to as retirement income, we should all hope to see these some day.
  • 1099-S: Proceeds from Real Estate Transactions
  • 1099-SA: Distributions From an HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA
  • 1042-S: Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income
  • SSA-1099: Social Security Benefit Statement
    • Directly from the Social Security administration. 
  • SSA-1042S: Social Security Benefit Statement to Nonresident Aliens
  • RRB-1099: Payments by the Railroad Retirement Board
  • RRB-1099R: Pension and Annuity Income by the Railroad Retirement Board
  • RRB-1042S: Payments by the Railroad Retirement Board to Nonresident Aliens
  • W-2G: Certain Large Gambling Winnings