The Thomas M. Cooley Journal of Practical and Clinical Law would like to thank those involved in our 2011 Legal Conference on the topic "To Bear or Not to Bear: Guns in Educational Institutions" for its success.
The Thomas M. Cooley Journal of Practical & Clinical Law sponsored a legal conference featuring top gun control advocates and opponents, who discussed as well as debated the impact that recent judicial decisions have had on gun policies and laws affecting educational institutions. This event was a thought-provoking discussion of one of the most relevant issues in society today.
The event was moderated by Professor William Wagner, professor of Constitutional Law, Ethics, and Advanced Appellate Techniques.
- Josh Horwitz, Executive Director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence
- Dennis Henigan, Vice President for Law & Policy at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence and Director and Co-founder of its Legal Action Project
- John Johnson, Co-Director of the Campaign to Keep Guns off Campus and former Director of Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence (2000-2006)
- James Manley, staff attorney with Mountain States Legal Foundation (argued on behalf of the state to challenge the University of Colorado's ban on licensed concealed carry on campus)
- John Lott, visiting Senior Research Scientist at the University of Maryland College Park and author of More Guns, Less Crime, the Bias Against Guns
- Steven Dulan, Attorney and Gun Law Professor at Thomas M. Cooley Law School