Minutes for Feb. 15:2/15/2011, 1:07 PM - START
First General Body Mtg.
*Mike Romanelli is out this term.
· I. A moment of silence/prayer for the Egyptian people was taken
· II. The Welcome was done by Shelly.
· III. Amnesty's Mission Statement was read by myself (Elnora).
· ***Professor Swedlow (faculty advisor) came in for a brief moment to say a few words and to introduce her Coffee House discussion on March 10, 2011, and extend herself to us.
· IV. Introductions done by Shelly
o a. Amnesty International Rep. - Liz, member of the Lansing group. Came out to speak on what Amnesty does…spoke about prisoners who Amnesty played a part in assisting by writing letters on their behalf and campaigning.
o She spoke of the international president of Amnesty, Susan Woltz
o She mentioned letters that we can send to other countries and here within the U.S.
o This can be done by going directly to the Amnesty website and locating the country in which you would like to write on their behalf. OR
o The Urgent Action Network fights conditions such as ppl who get thrown in prison for a short time just to scare that prisoner…by beating them, etc….so letters can be written on their behalf to help them.
o Lawyers for Human Rights - Possible externship possibility???
o How often do we hear back from prisoners? - Not often, w/ exception of Israel…they always write back
o Letters are typically written about the mistreatment of prisoners, missing people, etc…every case is different
o Amnesty is very cautious in remaining non-political, non-partisan, in maintaining a good reputation
o b. Faculty Advisor - K. Swedlow…see above
o c. New Officers - Shelly introduced the new officers
· Leadership Points You get two points for being a member and 3 pts for being an officer. If you build enough pts, you get an award at graduation
· Dues are $5 a term, and $15 for the year
· National Organization - $15/student/per year
· i. President. V. President, Sec., Treasurer, Communications Officer
o d. Positions needed to be filled are:
· i. Public Relations Officer and Parliamentarian
· ii. Sub-Committees -
§ I. Urgent Action Coordinator, Fundraising…
· V. Membership and recruitment - Michael
· VI. Planned Events
o a. Movie night, Rm. 911 "Chasing Freedom" March 3, 2011
o b. Coffee House, March 10, Prof. Swedlow will be the speaker on Death Penalty
o c. AIUSA - Conference in Dearborn, Michigan
· Feb. 26 & 27
· The cost for the conference is TBD, and there are hotel costs
· VII. Suggested Ideas for Next Term
o a. Haiti well - heeled drive
· i. Shoe drive donation from students to give to the Haitian people
· We want to give shoes that may have been once or a few times, not worn shoes, preferably sneakers
o b. Speed dating
· Took ideas from the members on possibly doing this in the fall; this could be a possible "Midterm Party" or if in the winter, for Valentines Day.
· *This will be a lot of work, but can be done
o c. AIDS panel discussion/testing
· This would be a great idea for amnesty, specifically if we incorporate a legal aspect into it.
· It's important to also incorporate the human rights aspect of it as well…countries that cannot afford the drugs for the disease, etc….
· *Also a lot of work, but a really great idea
· Possible getting the Gay Rights Association (GRA) and the International Law Association.
· Also the ACLU and the Health Law Society can get involved with this as well.
· BLSA and the HSLS
o d. Raffle
· Possibly getting Wal-Mart or other stores to donate items to raffle off to the students
· Ask the SBA about the rules for requesting
· 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Prize
o e. Global write-a-thon
· i. Eg. Prisoner of Conscience
§ This entails writing letters for prisoners to help them...
o f. Study groups/exam bank/test taking skills for our first semester students
· Possibly forming a support group for our students…
· Some professors do special sessions where they will give review sessions for a small fee - $2-3
· VIII. Any Other Business
o a. Robert's Rule of Order - link to SBA/internet
· Parliamentary style, similar to what the SBA uses to assist with our mtgs.
· *We will try and get the link from the SBA, but this can also be accessed online
· IX. Adjournment
o 2/15/2011, 1:57 PM - END