(built in 1886 with 1909 and 1919 additions)
A major piece of Como architectural history. This 1886 church features a very impressive interior worship space. It is currently repurposed as the home of a preservation institute of sword weaponry and armor, while continuing to serve as a church. In the 1950s the tower was removed and exterior was stuccoed, muting its visual impact. The architect is believed to be Charles S. Sedgwick, who designed the Dayton’s Department Store and Westminster Presbyterian Church on downtown Nicollet Avenue. While many details have been lost, the style is the Gothic style often used for churches, as can be seen in the massing, shortened tower, and in some preserved window details. The very interesting building interior may be visited by arrangement when the Oakeshott Institute hosts public events. The recent building
restoration is a welcome effort of conservation in Como.
As a religious group, the Como Avenue Congregational Church was established in 1882, while the church building at 1037 14th Ave. SE was completed in late 1886. For many decades it was the only religious institution in Como and long served as Sunday school for Como children of other Christian faiths. Significant modifications were made to the building in the 1950s: the bell tower was removed, the brick façade was stuccoed, etc. Como Church ceased to be Congregationalist in 1985 and was the home of Como Evangelical Free Church until recently.
The Como History Group brochure created for a tour of the church can be found here. The text of the brochure can be found on this web page.
Como Ave. Congregational Church history provided by Como Evangelical Free Church