Showing posts 1 - 40 of 40. View more »
Good news from the Hennepin County Libraries website:
Digitized City Directories
There are 22 Minneapolis City Directories from 1859 to 1891 that are now accessible online. Search by keyword or browse for city residents and their addresses and occupations, plus city businesses. Project made possible by a generous donation from the former Professional Librarians Union of Minneapolis.
Go here to start searching. Be sure to share any interesting Como finds with us!
Minneapolis Photo Collection in Special Collections at the Minneapolis Central Library.
The cascade is completely frozen. River is still open at right. The Silver Cascade emptied into the Mississippi at about 13th-14th Ave. SE. It was on land owned by the pioneer lumberman Calvin A. Tuttle, and the creek it emptied was called Tuttle’s Creek, or Tuttle’s Brook, that originated in the marshes of the Como neighborhood in SE Minneapolis. Dinkytown and railroad development dried up this creek toward 1900. Part of the creek appears in the 1898 city atlas but by the 1903 city atlas, the creek is gone.
Page 103 of the the CIty of Minneapolis' 2011 historic re-survey report includes the 63 properties found in the Central Core Survey Area (including Como) that are recommended for further survey and research. Two residential and two industrial properties in Como are included on that list.
53) Blanche La Du house at 1075 14th Avenue SE (HE-MPC-3392)
58) General Mills Laboratories at 2010 E. Hennepin Avenue (HE-MPC-3360)
59) Woolery Machine (Manufacturing) Company at 2115 Como Avenue SE (HE-MPC-3357)
60) August Nimmer house (Mayor Hubert H. Humphrey residence) at 890 19th Avenue SE (HE-MPC-3367)
A quick survey of the list shows 18 properties identified in Marcy-Holmes, 3 in Prospect Park (though most of Prospect Park wasn't included in this survey), 3 in Northeast Minneapolis, a few in North Minneapolis, and the bulk in Downtown Minneapolis.
Items of note found in the Central Core Survey Area (including Como and several other SE, NE, N & downtown neighborhoods):
More specific results will be shared at the October 25, 2011 Heritage Preservation Commission meeting (starts at 4:30 p.m.). All are invited to attend.
OCTOBER 12, 2011 UPDATE: Brian Schaffer is on the 10/25/11 agenda of the Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission for the 2010-2011 Historic Resources Inventory: Camden Area, Central Core, and Windom, Kenny & Armatage. Presentation of consultant’s final recommendations in the recently completed 2010-2011 Historic Resources Inventory prepared by Mead and Hunt, Inc. The commission meeting will begin at 4:30 p.m. in Room 317 of City Hall, 350 S. 5th Street. The Historic Resources Inventory is item number three on the agenda.
If you go to www.mndaily.com and search for subjects of interest to you, you will now be able to find articles that have appeared in over 3 decades worth of the University of Minnesota newspapers. Not sure how long these older articles will be available -- hopefully, older and older articles will be added over time (during the quick searches, it looked like some older articles were included but most of them had some kind of transcription error). The Minnesota Daily can be a very good source of information about the Como neighborhood in Southeast Minneapolis and the people that have lived here over the years.
A few examples of what you can find:
A May 31, 1983 article by Tom Omestad titled "Neighborhood groups flexing political muscles" mentions a first-ever Neighborhood Priorities Coalition convention and how neighborhood funding via the city had plummeted from $400K to $100K a year.
A June 3, 1997 article by Joe Carlson titled "Community hopes to revitalize area" covers a large community meeting held at Van Cleve Park in May for Southeast Como's Neighborhood Revitalization Program planning for funding. Including this quote, "Como resident Frank H. Meyer said the town meeting last week was one of the best experiences he has had in the 32 years he lived in the area. For the first time, I saw this community really come together and really (act) as a community, rather than a neighborhood of people living next to each other."
here. Many of them are of Tuttle students and staff from the 1940's and 1950's.
A new document has also been included. It's a 3-page handwritten biography of Calvin Tuttle on Minneapolis, Minn. stationery (written by his granddaughter, Mrs. Leo Cooper). It was sent to Tuttle School in 1937.
Tuttle School Patrol (1948), Minneapolis Public Schools
The page on the permanent and temporary Columbus School buildings can be found here. The permanent building was located at Winter & "O" Sts NE. The temporary building was used for a few years after the permanent building was abandoned; this temporary structure was located at 26th & Talmadge Aves SE. The Columbus School page also includes a fire protection engineering report about the portable building from 1931. See also this Minneapolis Tribune article about the razing of the Columbus School building in 1936.
The History of Minneapolis Public Schools website includes historic photos and information about the schools and buildings in the district.
. . ."[In 1970/71 the plan for the future Como Student Community Cooperative housing complex] became mired in a public debate over whether the University should continue to build student housing of any kind. Much of the debate turned on the tax-exempt status of University-owned land and buildings. Minneapolis city officials felt that it would be unfair for the city to provide municipal services to student families living on land exempt from the property taxes that financed the municipal services. Minnesota voters recently had passed a constitutional amendment that called on legislators to tighten up the definitions of non-taxable land. . ."
. . . "[University officials] offered to pay the city an annual sum equal to approximately one-half of the tax which the city would have collected from the project had it not been tax-exempt. According to one University official, the Como housing project would never have been built without this payment in lieu of taxes (PILOT). The payments would later become the focus of an acrimonious debate between the University and the first CSCC Board of Directors. . . "
. . . "After protracted discussion, the Board of Regents voted in June 1976, to end the assessment against CSCC for the PILOT payments. All monies which the University had ever collected for PILOT were refunded with interest to CSCC, and the payments to the city were ended. . . ."
excerpts from Phillip K. Wagner's CURA report titled "Cooperative Student Family Living: A history and census of the Como Student Community", February 1987
1-10 of 40