Disabled and non-disabled veterans who establish their eligibility for additional credits and are successful in the exam are entitled to have 10 and 5 points respectively (5 and 2 ½ points of credits in the case of promotional examination), added to their earned scores provided they have not used such credits to obtain permanent appointment or promotion.  You will be allowed the option of waiving these credits after the completion of the examination.  Effective 1/1/98 the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran’s credit in exams.  Any candidate who applies for such credit MUST provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit.  No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list.  It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veterans’ credit. 

“In conformance with section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served.  If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination.  A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility.  However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.” 

If you believe that you qualify to receive Veterans Credits please see the link below to download an Application For Veteran's Credits.   Please complete and return this form to the Civil Service Office.  Thank you.

Dawn Elbert,
Sep 20, 2018, 8:37 AM