Welcome to Family and Consumer Science. I am happy to have you here!
Family and Consumer Science runs on a trimester schedule.
* Sixth grade students will have 6 weeks of Child Care and Development and 6 weeks of Foods.
* Seventh and Eighth grade students will have 12 weeks of Foods.
* Each class meets twice a week.
Foods class is not just cooking, it is a necessary life skill built on the following objectives:
- developing an understanding of the flow of the kitchen;
- demonstrating proficiency in use of equipment;
- being able to read, make the connections between the steps, and follow a recipe;
- being able to listen and follow directions;
- being a member of a cooperative learning team;
- implementing safety and sanitation practices; and
- being a good time manager.
Child Care and Development is a six week program for sixth grade only.
Topics including being home alone, first aid, growth and development of children, toys and play, discipline and supervision, and practical child care strategies are covered. Child Care and Development is also pass/fail and part of the 6th grade trimester
grade in Family and Consumer Science.
Child Care and Development is built on the following objectives:
- defining the purpose and responsibilities of being a child care giver;
- defining resources available to care givers;
- understanding the growth and development of children;
- understanding and explaining how to handle emergency situations; and
- understanding basic child care needs.
Students in the Child Care program will get "babies" that they are responsible for during class time.
The Foods program supports our district mission to develop independent learners thus becoming less dependent on the teacher. Foods class is where practical application of academic knowledge takes place. Sixth grade Foods is exploratory and is graded on a pass/fail system. Seventh and Eighth grade Foods receive a letter grade in the Foods program.
To see rubric for grading in the Foods Lab, click on the "Foods Lab Evaluation Sheet" tab on the left. A detailed explanation of the rubric can be found there.
I am pleased to announce the Family and Consumer Science Students of the First Trimester.
The following students are being recognized for demonstrating commendable effort,
positive attitude and responsible behavior in Foods and Child Care and Development!
Family and Consumer Science
6th Grade Child Care and Development – Marlayna Papacoda, Amelia Whelan
6th Grade Foods – Iris Dunham, Shannon O’Brien, Katie Martin, Jordan Dunn
7th Grade Foods – Taylor Maher, Katie Robinson, Ava Zirlis, Hailey Baldwin, Kiley Geoghegan,
8th Grade Foods – Sam Reed, Caitlyn Donadio, Lauren Dundon, Emily Schulze