Wednesday– November 14, 2012
Good morning, Morgan. In West Africa, there's an old proverb that goes, Not to know is bad, but not to wish to know is worse. Let's think about that. Many children on the planet who want to learn never have the privilege of going to school. And then there are children in the world who have the opportunity to get an education but don't wish to learn. Which do you think is worse? Francis Bacon, great English philosopher, says: Knowledge is power. Today, think about this. If you love to learn, share the power of your knowledge with others. Serve as an example, tutor others, encourage others with kind words of support. If, on the other hand, you think that school is a waste of time, remember the words of Francis Bacon and ask yourself this: What kind of person do I want to be, power-full or power-less? It's your choice.
1. Attention baseball players: Your fundraiser items will be here Monday, 11/19. You need to be here at Morgan at 3:30 to pick up your fundraiser items.
2. This Friday’s Morgan football game has been nominated for NBC Connecticut’sGame of the Week. The game with the most votes will be featured on NBC’s Friday night football coverage and will be broadcast on Fox Sports Radio 1410am.
To vote: Go to the NBC Facebook page at facebook.com/NBCConnecticut and then click on the Game of the Week icon. Voting closes Wednesday at 9:00pm.
3. Tomorrow the cafeteria staff will be celebrating its 15th Thanksgiving dinner. This is a proud moment to share our thanks with our students and staff at Morgan.
4. Seniors: don’t forget to submit your senior profile and baby picture to Mrs. Robinson by Nov. 15.
5. Saturday, Nov. 17, the senior class will host an “Open Mic” at Malone’s Coffee House from 8 to 11pm. Admission is $5 at the door. If you would like to perform, contact Lenny Paul ASAP.
6. The 2013 Ski trip permission slips are out. Pay by December 7 and receive a discount. See Mrs. Nadeau for details in room 39. Permission slips are available in the main office. See you on the slopes!
7. If you are looking for a job, check out the bulletin board outside of the Guidance Office. Many of the retail stores at the Clinton Crossing Outlets are looking for high school students to help during the coming holiday season.
8. A representative from the University of Saint Joseph in West Hartford will be in the Guidance Office on November 15th at 1:15. Students must get a pass to attend the presentation.
9. Winter sports athletes: there is a mandatory meeting next Monday, Nov. 19 at 7:00pm for all winter sports athletes,
parents and coaches. Boys basketball will meet in room 60; girls basketball in room 64; Indoor track will meet in room
61; wrestling will meet in room 67 and fencing club will meet in room 62. These meetings are mandatory and
attendance will be taken.
10. Great Teen Event at Henry Carter Hull Library! Please come to the Twilight Trivia Challenge at Henry Carter Hull
Library on Thursday after school in the teen room. Morgan students will host a Twilight Trivia Challenge for the
chance to win 2 free movie tickets. After the Twilight Challenge we will watch Breaking Dawn Part 1 so we all can
be ready to watch Breaking Dawn Part 2, which open in theaters on Friday. Free popcorn and movie candy while
supplies last. This event is free and there is no registration.
11. Athletic events for Wednesday, November 14, Morgan girls soccer vs. Litchfield – CIAC Quarterfinals at Litchfield High School at 2:00PM. Morgan girls volleyball vs. Holy Cross – CIAC Semifinals at Sport and Medical Sciences Academy, Hartford at 5:00. There will be a spectator bus for today's volleyball game in Hartford. Sign up in the athletics office.