Good morning, Morgan. Did you know that during World War II, 100,000 Japanese-Americans here in the United States were forced to leave their homes and move into prisons that were called detention camps? When she was a young girl, Yoshiko Uchida and her family lived in a horse stall at a racetrack for five months before moving to a permanent camp.
When Ms. Uchida left the detention camp, she had every reason to be bitter and angry, but instead she left determined to do something good in the world. She wrote wonderful books for young people which always contained a message of hope and perseverance. Now listen to these words of wisdom from an unknown source: Real leaders are ordinary people with extraordinary determination. Yoshiko Uchida was an ordinary person with extraordinary determination to make something good out of a bad situation. Today, look for a place in your life where you can turn a negative into positive determination.
1. Attention baseball players: Your fundraiser items will be here Monday, 11/19. You need to be here at Morgan at 3:30 to pick up your fundraiser items.
2. Today the cafeteria staff will be celebrating its 15th Thanksgiving dinner. This is a proud moment to share our thanks with our students and staff at Morgan.
3. Seniors: don’t forget to submit your senior profile and baby picture to Mrs. Robinson today.
4. Saturday, Nov. 17, the senior class will host an “Open Mic” at Malone’s Coffee House from 8 to 11pm. Admission is $5 at the door. If you would like to perform, contact Lenny Paul ASAP.
5. The 2013 Ski trip permission slips are out. Pay by December 7 and receive a discount. See Mrs. Nadeau for details in room 39. Permission slips are available in the main office. See you on the slopes!
6. If you are looking for a job, check out the bulletin board outside of the Guidance Office. Many of the retail stores at the Clinton Crossing Outlets are looking for high school students to help during the coming holiday season.
7. A representative from the University of Saint Joseph in West Hartford will be in the Guidance Office today at 1:15. Students must get a pass to attend the presentation.
8. Winter sports athletes: there is a mandatory meeting Monday, Nov. 19 at 7:00pm for all winter sports athletes, parents and coaches. Boys basketball will meet in room 60; girls basketball in room 64; indoor track will meet in room 61; wrestling will meet in room 67 and fencing club will meet in room 62. These meetings are mandatory and attendance will be taken.
9. Great Teen Event at Henry Carter Hull Library! Please come to the Twilight Trivia Challenge at Henry Carter Hull library today after school in the teen room. Morgan students will host a Twilight Trivia Challenge for the chance to win 2 free movie tickets. After the Twilight Challenge, we will watch Breaking Dawn Part 1 so we all can be ready to watch Breaking Dawn Part 2, which opens in theaters on Friday. Free popcorn and movie candy while supplies last. This event is free and there is no registration.
10. Tea Party activist Daria Novak will meet with the Political Club on Tuesday, 11/20, after school in room 40.
Daily Announcements >