Accepting applications for the 2016-2017 School Year beginning February 1st, 2016.
The Career and Technical Education program at Clarkston Community Schools offers benefits for all students ranging from providing a contextual environment for developing high-level academic skills, to providing specific industry certification or post-secondary credit in an occupational field. Career and Technical Education offers education benefits to students pursuing careers requiring specific technical skills, as well as providing a strong foundation for those pursuing a traditional four-year (or more) degree. It is an integral component of the total education mission, contributing to the goals of high academic achievement, student retention and motivation, and the development of general workplace and life skills. The Clarkston Community Schools Career Immersion Program is designed for students who wish to participate in a specific career pathway that will lead to a Career Diploma Endorsement at the end of their senior year.
Career Immersion Program Details
Students must maintain a 3.00 overall GPA as well as a 3.00 GPA in career pathway courses to be eligible to stay in the program and receive the diploma endorsement. Applicants must meet all course prerequisites.
Criteria for Student Selection
Entering 9th through 12th grade students* who have demonstrated:
- A strong interest in one of our three career pathways: Pre-Engineering, Computer Science, or Teacher Education
- An interest in problem solving
- Responsible, self-directed learning capacities
- An ability to work in an active cooperative learning environment
- Strong academic ability in the core curriculum.
- Evidence of 8th grade language arts and math competency (to meet grade level expectation).
Career Pathways and Program Requirements
Project Lead the Way (Pre-Engineering) Pathway - 4 Credits
9th Grade – Choice of 1 Credit from the following:
- Mechanical Drafting Technology - ½ credit
- Fundamentals of Technology - ½ credit
- Computer Science Principles - ½ credit
- PLTW: Introduction to Engineering Design (IED) - 1 credit, transportation provided to CHS
10th-12th Grades - Choice of 1 Credit each year from the following:
- PLTW: Introduction to Engineering Design (IED) - 1 Credit
- PLTW: Digital Electronics (DE) - 1 Credit
- PLTW: Principles of Engineering 1 - ½ credit
- PLTW: Principles of Engineering 2 - ½ credit
- Architecture 1 - ½ credit
- Architecture 2 - ½ credit
- PLTW: Civil Engineering & Architecture (CEA) - 1 credit
- Mechanical Engineering 1 - ½ credit
- Mechanical Engineering 2 - ½ credit
- Engineering Graphics (EG) - 1 credit
Computer & Information Sciences & Support (Computer Science) Pathway - 4 Credits
9th Grade – Computer Science Principles AND Software Applications
10th Grade – Choose from 1 of 2 Beginning Computer Options
- Introduction to Programming - 1 Credit
- AP Computer Science Principles -1/2 Credit AND Information Technology Elective 1/2 Credit
11th Grade – Choose from 1 of 4 Advanced Computer Options:
- AP Computer Science
- IB Computer Science
- Computer Hardware, Troubleshooting & Repair AND Computer Networking & Communications
- Web Design I AND Web Design II
12th Grade – Senior Capstone Programming Project OR another Advanced Computer Option
Teacher Education Pathway - 3 Credits
10th Grade – Parenting - ½ Credit AND Preschool Practicum 1 - ½
11th Grade – Preschool Practicum 2 - ½ Credit AND choice from the following options:
12th Grade – Teacher Education - 1 Credit
- Nutrition and Wellness - ½ Credit
- Family Studies - ½ Credit
- Human Relations - ½ Credit
Current Clarkston High School students can apply at any time using the "Application Packet for CCS Students" below.
Out-of-District Students wishing to attend Clarkston High School full-time to experience one of our two Career Immersion Program pathways need to submit the "Application Packet for School of Choice" as well as the "Release of Student Records" listed below.