603 6th Street, Oregon City, OR 97045
Open Thursday through Saturday
12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Last tour begins at 3:30 pm
Oregon City resident Mertie Stevens (1872-1968) lived in her family home for 60 years and left the fully furnished house to the Clackamas County Historical Society upon her death. The home contains items from a lifetime of preserving family possessions and collecting items from friends, neighbors and the region.
Enjoy a guided tour of this charming 1908 craftsman style house built for Oregon City pioneers Harley Stevens Sr. and his wife Elizabeth Stevens Crawford. The three-story home contains fifteen furnished rooms and features:
Harley Stevens (1847-1924) was just 15 in 1862 when he left his home in New York to cross the Oregon Trail as a member of the Emigrant Escort Service, created by Congress to protect westward travelers. Harley began working in 1870 for the Oregon & California Railroad as the first telegraph operator and the second depot agent in Oregon City. He married Mary Elizabeth in 1871. They had two children, Harley C., Jr., and Mertie.
Mary Elizabeth (Crawford) Stevens (1850-1932) was the well-educated daughter of Medorem Crawford (1819-1891) who came west in 1842, with one of the first waves of immigrants on the Oregon Trail.
Her father settled first in Oregon City and operated his own business transporting goods around the Willamette Falls. He also farmed along the Clackamas River and was a well-respected early member of the Provisional Legislature. Among his distinguished roles, he served as a U.S. customs agent and a captain assigned to the Emigrant Escort Service.
The Stevens-Crawford Heritage House is the third house known to have been the home of the Stevens family in Oregon City. The family's first home, on Main Street, was vacated as the area turned from residential to commercial. After living in a home at 7th and Washington (later the location of the Odd Fellow Hall) he built the craftsman style home at 6th and Washington.
For architectural detail on the home, see the City of Oregon City historic inventory form HERE.