심현철 교수 바이오
(現) 카이스트 항공우주공학과 교수
- 국토부 민간무인기안전운항연구단장 (’16-현재)
- 카이스트 항공우주공학과 교수 (07-현재)
- Field Robotics Center장, ‘12-’15
-미 University of California, Berkeley 기계공학과 박사 (‘00)
- Maxtor Corporation Staff Engineer (‘01-’05)
- 현대자동차 마북리연구소 (‘93-’94)
-서울대 기계설계학과 학/석사 (‘91/’93)
David Hyunchul Shim Profile
- Associate Professor(tenured), Dept. of Aerospace Eng, KAIST
- Director, MOLIT Civil RPAS Safe Operation Research Center (’16-current)
- Director, Field Robotics Center, KAIST Institute (’12-’15)
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Dept of Aerospace Eng, KAIST (‘07/’10)
- Staff Engineer, Maxtor Corp, USA (’01-’05)
- Ph.D, UC Berkeley (’00)
- Engineer, Hyundai Motor Company (’93-’94)
- Bachelor/Master, Mechanical Eng, Seoul National University (‘91/’93)
Prof. David Hyunchul Shim is Associate Professor at KAIST, South Korea. Prof. Shim received the B.S. and M.S. degrees in mechanical design and production engineering from Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, in 1991 and 1993, respectively, and the Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering from the University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, USA in 2000.
From 1993 to 1994, he was with Hyundai Motor Company, Korea. From 2001 to 2005, he was with Maxtor Corporation, Milpitas, CA, USA as Staff Engineer. From 2005 to 2007, he was with the University of California Berkeley as Principal Engineer, in charge of Berkeley Aerobot Team. In 2007, he joined the Department of Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Daejon, Korea, as an Assistant Professor. He is now a tenured Associate Professor.
He began his research on autonomous vehicles since 1991 and has been recognized as one of the pioneers in unmanned aerial vehicles for his work on flight control system design, collision avoidance, vision-based aerial mapping and navigation, and anti-drone technologies and serving as Director of Intelligent UAV Research Laboratory and also Director of Korean Civil RPAS Research Center.
He has coauthored about 50 journal papers and 200 conference papers so far and cited more than 2,800 times by peers. He is also serving as member and editor in several domestic and international journals and academic societies. He received a number of awards including the 2nd prize in Global Student Design Competition by National Instrument, USA(2014), Outstanding award by the Minister of Science, ICT and Future Planning of Korean Government, Best paper awards by Qualcomm Inc, Korean Aerospace Industry(’09,’14).