1. Understand what sustainable urban & community forestry is and why it is important.
2. Understand the numerous benefits of urban/community forests to society, often referred to as ecosystem services.
3. Understand the costs associated with urban/community forests.
4. Understand what an urban forest management plan is and why it is an essential tool.
1. Describe the economic, social, and environmental benefits of urban/community trees to local communities.
2. Comprehension of the effects of urban/community trees on air quality and water quality.
3. Knowledge of research showing that trees contribute to our health, well-being and quality of life.
4. Understanding of threats to urban/community forests such as invasive species, insect and diseases, climate change, fire, air pollution, lack of management capability and development pressures.
5. Understand what a tree inventory is and what it is used for.
6. Understand the components of an urban/community forest management plan.
7. Basic knowledge of models and tools used to calculate the value of tree canopy functions.
2015 North American Envirothon Information
Visit the North American Envirothon Site at http://www.envirothon.org/