C.C. Wells Elementary School
13101 South Chester Road
Chester, VA 23831
Office 804.768.6265 Clinic 804.768.6268 Fax 804.768.0356
History of School
Charles Clagget Wells served on the Chesterfield County School Board from 1932-1971. Mr. Wells, a native and lifelong resident of Matoaca, attended county public schools, graduated from Fork Union Academy in 1911, studied special classes at Virginia Mechanics Institute, and participated in seminars at Virginia Union Theological Seminary.
In 1937 Mr. Wells led School Board efforts that led to the installation of public address systems in county schools then under construction. He also initiated the use of free textbooks for students in February, 1939. In 1942 he sponsored the action which led to increased salaries for janitors and school bus drivers.
Mr. Wells, a postmaster and storekeeper, at the time of his death owned and operated the C.C. Wells store in Matoaca.
He was a member of the Matoaca Baptist Church, B.P.O.E. No. 237, Blandford Lodge No. 3, A.R. & A.M. Appomattox Commandery No. 6, Royal Arch Chapter No.7, and ACCA Temple Shrine.
Before his death in February 1974, the School Board honored him by naming the new South Chester School the C.C. Wells Elementary School. During his 39 years on the School Board, he represented Matoaca District through six school superintendents, six presidents, and several wars.
A certificate presented to him in 1972 by School Trustee Electoral Board says, "...we recognize in C.C. Wells a humanitarian who has always given of himself instinctively to the educational, religious, and civic improvement of our county..."