17700 Longhouse Lane
Chesterfield, VA 23838
DIRECTIONS: Use the Google Map below to enter your address and show directions to the school:
PHONE: (804) 590-3108
FAX: (804) 590-3022
OFFICE HOURS: Monday-Friday, 7:00AM-3:00PM
SCHOOL MASCOT: Warriors
SCHOOL COLORS: Red and White
PRINCIPAL: Mrs. Belinda Merriman
ASSISTANT PRINCIPALS: Dr. Scott Birmingham, Mrs. Stephanie LaSmith, Dr. Stefanie Mooney
DEAN OF STUDENTS: Mr. Bryan Hicks
ACTIVITIES DIRECTOR: Mr. Charles Payton
HISTORY AND OVERVIEW OF MATOACA HIGH SCHOOL
Matoaca High School, located in the southern part of Chesterfield County, originally opened its doors in September, 1963. The address of the school was 6001 Hickory Road, Ettrick, VA. In 2002, after 39 years of operation, the old building closed for the last time as Matoaca High School. In the fall of 2002, the present facility opened at 17700 Longhouse Lane, Chesterfield, VA. The old building has been converted to an extension of Matoaca Middle School. The community is rapidly evolving from a university town (Virginia State University) and rural village with some farming to a progressively upwardly mobile suburban community.
Matoaca is a comprehensive high school with a diverse student body of approximately 1800 students in grades 9-12. The school has a faculty of over 125 teachers, 6 counselors, 3 librarians, and 5 administrators. Matoaca is on a 7-period alternating block schedule, which consists of six 90-minute classes (periods 2-7) meeting on an alternating odd/even day basis, while the first period meets daily for 50 minutes. Matoaca houses the Center for Teaching and Learning through Technology. This specialty center is open to students throughout the county via an application process. There are over 50 clubs and organizations available for student participation. The school is accredited through the Virginia Department of Education and No Child Left Behind (NCLB). Students compete on academic and athletic teams in the Group AAA - Central District of the Virginia High School League (VHSL).
MISSION STATEMENT OF MATOACA HIGH SCHOOL:
The mission of Matoaca High School is to provide students with competencies to achieve academic and personal success through the Chesterfield County Public Schools core values within a safe and orderly environment.
1. Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs.
2. The community, the school system, and the teacher should set high expectations for each student and demonstrate an attitude of excellence for student achievement.
3. Students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process.
4. Technology is an inherent part of the everyday learning process that better prepares students for their future.
5. A student's self-esteem is enhanced through positive relationships and mutual respect among students and staff.
6. Fair and consistent discipline promotes learning.
7. Student achievement is enhanced by attendance, study habits, and classroom participation.
8. A safe and physically comfortable environment promotes student learning.
9. Educators, students, parents, and the community share the responsibility for each student's education.
10. Upon graduation, students will have the necessary skills to transition from high school to higher education, the military, or the workforce and will possess the life skills commensurate with their abilities.