How to sign up for Behind-the-Wheel:
- Students should get some driving experience in parking lots or other low risk driving environments before behind-the wheel training (The 45 hour driving log does not have to be completed at this time)
- Students can sign up on Mondays / (1st school day of the week of each week) with Mr. Jenkins at all lunches in the cafeteria
- Complete and bring the (2) permission forms found below:
- (Enrollment form and 180 day form)
- Bring a check for $210.00 made payable to Cosby High School
- Bring your learner’s permit
Printable Driver’s Ed. Forms:
The following forms are required to sign up for behind the wheel. These forms may be obtained in the main office or by downloading them off this website
Behind the wheel instructors:
How to pick up your License:
- Students can pick up their license on school days during their lunch by coming to the Men’s locker room PE office (See Mr. Jenkins) with your learner’s permit and your completed driving log.
Students choosing to complete behind-the-wheel training at a private driving school:
- Students need to obtain a certificate of classroom completion card (Green Card) from their classroom Driver’s Ed. Teacher.
Students that are moving:
How to obtain a Learners Permit:
- Students need to obtain a certificate of classroom completion card (Green Card) from their classroom Driver’s Ed. Teacher. They will need this card to complete Behind-the-wheel training in their new town or city.
- Must be 15 and 6 months old to get learners
- Complete a DL 1M learners permit and driver license application form
- Furnish proof of social security, residency, and original identification document certifying name and date of birth
- Pass a multiple-choice sign and knowledge test. MUST answer all 10-road signs correctly. Students are required to answer at least 80% of the general knowledge questions correctly (20 out of 25).
- Pass a vision test
- Have a digitized photo taken at DMV
How to Obtain a Drivers License:
- Must be 16 and 3 months old to get license
- Must hold learners for 9 months
- 36 hours of classroom Drivers Ed.
(Students cannot miss more than 10 1st period classes or 5 block classes of Driver’s Ed. to meet this requirement)
- Behind the Wheel Training (7 days of driving and observing)
- Driving Log (Found on the school website) (Info. must be recorded on the official log sheet) 45 hours, 15 of which must be after sunset. The hours driven during behind-the-wheel training cannot be used on the driving log.
-The 180-day provisional license (TDL-180) is valid when accompanied by a valid Virginia learners permit.