This section of the FAQ is devoted to phone-related questions; please browse the entries below or try searching for you question in the field above.
Note: All Cabrillo phones have an emergency paging feature where in the event of an emergency, the sheriff will broadcast an announcement that will come through the speaker of all phones. Cabrillo phones have a sophisticated 911 system so any 911 call will tell emergency responders exactly which building you are calling from. There are emergency phones located outside of many campus buildings. These phones can call on-campus extensions and 911. They will continue to have dial tone in a power outage lasting more than one hour.
Many of us at Cabrillo get unwanted telemarketing calls. You can add your office lines as well as you home telephone lines to the National Do Not Call List
. I can't do it for you because we have thousands of phone numbers, and you can only register 3 at a time with this list.
It is safe to go to this website and enter the phone numbers you would like to stop receiving solicitations on.
How to Block Fax Calls
The FCC rules prohibit unsolicited fax advertisements (under most circumstances). In general, to stop unwanted fax advertisements, you must make an “opt-out” request which must:
- identify the fax number or numbers to which it relates; and
- be sent to the telephone number, fax number, Web site address, or e-mail address identified on the fax advertisement.
If you change your mind about receiving fax advertisements, you can subsequently grant express permission to receive faxes from a particular sender, orally or in writing.
This won't necessarily stop the faxes - especially if they are scammers deliberately violating the law, but it does give you the right to sue them. So, if that didn't work, what's next?
Try to Identify the Sender
- Try a Google search of any of the phone numbers on the fax, such as the sending number (if it is present), the respond-to number or removal-me number.
- Check whether the FCC has already received complaints about the fax:
Click here to visit Telecommunications Consumers Division - Unsolicited Faxes and search for the title of the fax in the search box on that page.
- See if this Junk Fax website has identified the fax:
click here to search the Junk Fax Index.
- Trap the call - After you receive a junk fax, immediately dial *57. Note the date and time on the fax. You can call the police to report harassing phone calls or call the phone company to do the same and require them to start monitoring your line for more calls. Once the phone company tells you the number, you have to find the owner of the number. See this website for more information.
- Call the Remove-me number and match the response against the table below.
JunkFax.org ss doing an excellent job of helping to identify junk faxers. See this page for their current source information of the examples in the table below.
If the removal Recording starts with something like this ...
"thank you for calling the fax removal hotline. Enter the 10 digit telephone you wished to have removed. Press the # key when finished."Protus.MP3
Protus IP Solutions
888 217 8253
"You have reached the fax number removal line. Starting with the area code, please dial your 10 digit fax number"
Protus IP Solutions
"Please enter the 10 digit fax number you wish to have removed from our list followed by the # sign"
"Please listen carefully and select from one of the following..."
To be identified
"Hello. If we have sent you a fax in error, please press 1 to remove your number..."
CF Services, LLC*
"To be removed from our list, please enter your 3 digit area code and 7 digit fax number. Please do not enter a 1 before the area code."
"to be removed from our list, please enter your 3 digit area code and 7 digit fax number. please do not enter a 1 before the area code."
To be identified
at least 3 variations: "welcome to the fax removal system. To remove your fax number, please enter your 10 digit fax number including the area code." alternates with "you have reached the fax removal number. if you no longer wish to receive our faxes, ...." and "welcome to the toll free fax number removal service. to have your fax number removed, ..."
(note: they dial numbers from the fax.com database)
Headers are modified each time to make them look different and they use multiple removal recordings, changing the voices frequently.
Jan 06 2005 07:23 Travel Center -> 12135551212 Page 1 of 1
Jan 06 2005 07:23 Travel Center 12135551212 p.1
see DigitalSpeed Communications
About troubleshooting your fax machines
IT will provide dial tone and calling permission for your
fax machine. But there are many different models on campus. Your office
staff needs to be familiar with the manual for your fax machine and do
some troubleshooting. Remember your fax machine is physically connected
to a specific wall jack. It wont work on any jack. You cannot move it
without assistance from the IT department.
Did this fax machine work fine and just started acting up recently? What changed? Was it moved?
Is the problem with sending or recieving? For recieving, call the four digit number of your fax machine and see if it answers and if you hear the fax tone.
Does your fax machine have an auto answer button? If it does, its easy
for it to become unselected and then it wont pick up faxes. That can
also change with the settings in your machine's configuration. Read the manual to learn about the available settings.
For sending, do you usually dial 9+ the phone number? If your trouble is with dialing only 4 digits, try 9 + the full 7 digits phone number. If your trouble is with faxing long distance, contact the help desk to find out if you have long distance permissions set.
Is your fax machine covered under a warranty?
About IP Faxing
IP faxing replaces traditional fax machines. You can send a fax right from your computer (Mac or PC).
How to use the IP fax system
- To use the IP fax system: Just type the word "fax" or https://fax.cabrillo.edu/ into your web browser.
- When prompted for a login, enter your staff account information. Example:
- The "Compose" button is in the top left of the web page. Fill out all of the required information.
- On the "Sender and Company Information" tab, change personal info if you want to.
- On the "Compose" tab, Enter the fax number:
LOCAL FAX use seven digits: XXXXXXX (do not include 831)
LONG DISTANCE FAX use eleven digits: 1XXXXXXXXXX (include 1 + area code + 7 digits)
NOTE: No four digit faxing and no dashes or special characters
- attach any document from your computer or the network to be included in your fax. Click “Submit” at the top.
About using the fax server
All staff or faculty on campus can send faxes from their computer and attach any documents from their computer or the network. For receiving faxes, you can have any fax number (new or old) directed to a network printer. You don't need a fax machine at all! (The only reason to require the use of a fax machine is if original signature documents are being sent. And even then you can scan the document and then fax it.) This new technology is our new campus standard and is being used very effectively every day.
Besides simple convenience, the benefits include:
- saving space (don't need room for an extra piece of equipment).
- saving money (don't need to buy paper, toner, and repairs for fax machine).
- helping the environment.
- freeing networks port for phones, computers, printers, etc.
About the IP phone directories
Your IP Phone has multiple directories including:
- a Corporate Directory (containing all Cabrillo College numbers)
- a Personal Directory (containing your list of frequently dialed or important numbers).
How to use the Personal directory
To use the Personal directory:
1. Log into your phone’s web page and create your own phone book (instructions to follow).
2. Go to Personal Directory on ANY Cabrillo phone, log in with network user name and pin, and you will have your personal phone book. Make sure to log out if it’s not your phone or others will have your numbers. On your own phone, you can stay logged in and the directory will refresh adding any new information you’ve entered on the web page.
How to create a Personal Directory for IP Phones (Programmable Via the Web Only)
- Go to http://phone
- Enter User ID: Current Computer login
- Password : Current Computer password
- Click on “User Options” and select “Personal Address Book”
- The screen is blank with search options. Click "Find" to see all of your entries. Click “Add New” to add addresses to your phone book. (Note: Be sure to click on “Save” when you are finished.)
You should also change your pin so other people can’t access your personal phone book.
- Internal Extensions: enter extension only
- External Numbers (Local): 9 + 7 Digit Number
- External Numbers (Long Distance): 9 + 1 + Area Code + 7 Digit Number
How to change your PIN for your Personal Directory
- Go to “User Options”
- Select “User Settings”
- The default current pin is 12345. Change the pin to something you will remember.
How to access your Personal Directory on IP Phones
- Press the Directories button
Select Personal Directory using navigation button (Option 4)
Using dial pad, enter search criteria, then press “Submit” (or just press “Submit” for a complete listing)
Press Dial in order to call desired party
Once you’ve done all this a few times it’s really easy and very handy.