Burlington Writer's Club Adult Contest
Deadline: March 8, 2014 View printable PDF version
1. Adult writers including living in Alamance, Caswell, Chatham, Durham, Guilford, Orange, Randolph and Rockingham Counties are eligible.
2. Manuscripts, including poetry, must be the original, unpublished work of the contestant, not pending publication and must not have received a first place award in any competition.
3. Writers may submit one (1) entry in each category. No entry may be placed in more than one category.
4. Poetry Requirements (original or clear copies)
5. Prose Requirements (original or clear copies)
6. Burlington Writer's Club members may enter free. Deadline for $15.00 membership dues is Dec 31, 2013. Non-member Adult entry fee is $8.00 per entry for Poetry and $10.00 entry fee for Prose. No cash will be accepted through the mail. Checks or money orders are to be made payable to Burlington Writer's Club and attached to your entries.
7. Deadline for entries is March 8, 2014. No entries postmarked after that date will be accepted. Entries may be brought to the March 8th meeting. All inquiries, requests for manuscripts, judge's comments and winners' list must be accompanied by a self-addressed envelope (SASE) with correct postage. Entries without SASE or not picked up at the Awards Banquet on May 13th, 2014 will be destroyed.
8. First place winners will receive $25.00 and a Certificate of Merit. They will be asked to read winning entry or designate a reader. Time limit is seven (7) minutes or four (4) double spaced pages for prose. Second place winners receive $15.00 and a Certificate of Merit. Third place winners will receive $10.00 and a Certificate of Merit. Honorable mentions will receive a Certificate of Merit.
9. Any category which does not have at least six (6) entries will be eliminated. First place winners of the 2013 contest are not eligible to enter the categories in which they won. A category manager is not eligible to enter the category she/he manages. Manuscripts may be written upon by the judges.
The Awards Banquet will be held on Tuesday, May 13th at 6:30 P.M. - the specifics of location and price will be announced along with notification to the winners. Reservations are required. Cost of meal per person, or change of location of banquet will be announced at least one month before banquet, if not sooner.
CATEGORIES AND MANAGERS:
Contest Committee: Lisa Reittinger, Seena Granowsky and Doris Caruso
Banquet Committee: Seena Granowsky, Doris Caruso, Carolyn Councilman and Liz Solazzo
For additional information, call 336-227-2351 Seena Granowsky or 336-229-7104 Doris Caruso. For copies of these rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Doris Caruso, 3015 Winston Drive #110, Burlington, NC 27215 or e-mail your request to email@example.com.
The Burlington Writers Club is a Member Group of the Alamance County Arts Council