- Google Sites provides a built-in
navigation gadget that can be used in the sidebar of your site.
- The navigation gadget can be used to provide links to all of the pages on the site and also includes an optional expandable/collapsible hierarchical navigation structure.
- To access the navigation gadget, simply
log into your site and select the "edit sidebar" link that is located
at the bottom of your sidebar.
- If you don't see the option to edit the sidebar, it's because you are do not have owner access to the site. Only people with owner access to the site have the ability to edit the content that appears in the sidebar. More information on owner access is to be found here - Accessing the Site
- The sidebar can be changed in one of two ways.
- The first way is to click on the “edit sidebar” link at the bottom of the sidebar. Doing so takes you into the Site Layout section of the Site Settings. Once there, you can add gadgets and navigation widgets of your choosing to your sidebar.
- The second way is via More Actions -> Manage Site -> Site Layout.
- If your site is not displaying the navigation gadget, follow these steps:
- Select Manage Site from the More
- Select Site Layout tab from the
- If the Navigation gadget does not appear in the list of items under the Sidebar, click the blue "Add a sidebar item" to add one.
- In the list of elements you will have the choice of adding, select Navigation and click Add.
- You can also change the sidebar by adding other elements such as recent site activity, or a text element that may contain any text, including links, a countdown box, a navigation menu and an element that shows the activity of the logged-in user only. If you have more than one element in your sidebar you can rearrange the items by dragging and dropping the different boxes into the order you want them to appear.
- Once the Navigation gadget is present on the Site Layout page, click the
underlined blue “Edit” link under the Navigation gadget in the blue sidebar section of the page to update it.
- This edit link will bring up
the dialogue box for managing the navigation gadgets' setup, including the
expandable hierarchical structure, entitled "Configure Navigation".
- The Title section of the Configure
Navigation window is designed to allow you to place a title at the
top of your Navigation gadget when displayed in the sidebar.
the check from the box next to Display Title will prevent a title
from displaying, regardless of what is typed in the Title box above.
- Placing a check in the box next to "Automatically Organize my Navigation" will enable Google Sites to
automatically build your navigation structure.
- New pages will be
added to your site's navigation in alphabetical order, and will
appear in the same hierarchical structure as they exist in your site.
- Generally we would recommend that you use the manual method as opposed to the automatic option to organise the layout of the navigation gadget as the manual method offers more control.
- You have the ability to limit how many
hierarchical levels of your site will be included in the
autonavigation by selecting one of the options in the Show <all>
Levels of Pages section.
- Removing the check from the box next to
Automatically Organize my Navigation will return your site to the
manual method for managing your site's navigagion.
- The list of pages that are displayed
under the Pages section includes only pages that are currently
displayed in the Navigation section of your site's sidebar.
- To add
links/pages to this section, click the Add Item link at the bottom of
the Configure Navigation window.
- By default, new items added will
appear at the bottom of the list of pages.
- To organize the order of page links in
your Navigation gadget, simply select the page you wish to move and
click the appropriate Up or Down arrow until the page appears where
you want it.
- Once you have organized your pages into the desired
hierarchical order, you can use the Left and Right arrows to create
an expandable/collapsible menu.
- You can use the various arrows to adjust the position of the various pages and the x box to delete a page (this just deletes a page from the sidebar ; it does not actually delete a page) and you can add pages using the add page link.
- When you are happy with the layout click on OK and then remember to Save Changes before going back to the site.