Program: Each year the Instructional Technology Group presents the Teaching
with Technology Award to instructors whose courses have been nominated
by students, faculty and staff for the most effective use of technology
in advancing teaching and learning goals. The award is co-sponsored by
CIS and the Dean of the College.
Criteria: The awards are judged according to three criteria:
- Collaboration and Communication
Use of Multimedia
- Did the instructor create an online Learning Community through the
MyCourses discussion board, collaboration via a wiki, blog, or
- Was there active participation?
- Was the discussion moderated?
- Were expectations clearly stated?
Online Course Design
- Did the instructor engage learners through the use of innovative
multimedia such as video, audio, flash animation, or PowerPoint?
- Did learners participate in creating multimedia projects?
- Were expectations stated clearly?
- How integral was it to the course?
- What sort of materials were available (syllabus, lecture notes, links to external resources)?
- Did the instructor make use of the Library's electronic resources?
- Did the course have video, audio or other unique features?
- Was the course well organized and visually appealing?
- Did the course have online assessments or assignments?
Review of nominations: We request the participation of students, staff and faculty from
across all areas of the university. In the past our review panel has
- Brown Undergraduate Student
- CIS - AT - ITG
- Dean of the College
- Faculty - past award winner
- Sheridan Center
- University Library
Winners: Winners receive an award at the annual University Award Ceremony to recognize their efforts and give them a chance to discuss their work with the ceremony attendees.
Teaching with Technology Awards 2012
- Ross E. Cheit, POLS 1740 The Politics of Food- Communication & Collaboration
- Ira B. Wilson, PHP 0310 Heath Care in the United States, Use of Multimedia
- Michael L. Satlow, JUDS 1410 The Talmud, Use of Multimedia
- Fiery A. Cushman, CLPS 0700 Social Psychology, Course Design
- Arthur R. Salomon,BIOL 0280 Introductory Biochemistry, Showcase Award
Teaching with Technology Awards 2011 (photos)
Teaching with Technology Awards 2010 (photos)
- Madhumita Lahiri, ENGL1761W Modern South Asia: Literature and Theory - Communication & Collaboration
- Casey Dunn, BIOL0410 Invertebrate Zoology - Multimedia
- Thomas Serre, CLPS1520 Computational Vision - Course Design
- Richard Bungiro,
BIOL0530 Principles of Immunology - Showcase Award
- Douglas Burtt, BIOL3662 Integrated Medical Sciences III - Cardiovascular - Showcase Award
Teaching with Technology Awards 2009
Teaching with Technology Awards 2008
- Kiri Miller, MUSC 0062: Musical Youth Cultures - Collaboration and Communication
- Ken Miller, John Stein, and Jody Hall, BIOL 0200: The Foundation of Living Systems - Course Design
- James Green, HIST 1670: History of Brazil - Course Design
- Ipek Tureli, HIAA 1890F: From Worlds in Miniature to Miniature Worlds: Theming and Virtuality - Use of Multimedia
Teaching with Technology Awards 2007
Best of MyCourses Awards 2006
Best of WebCT Awards 2005
Best of WebCT Awards 2004