In accordance with the Brown Curriculum, shopping period provides students the ability to explore subject matters in line with his/her interests. Instructors can grant students access to Canvas course materials during shopping period, which also allows students to submit assignments.
**NOTE: Faculty must publish their course site to allow students access to material.
**NOTE: Students must register in Banner before the end of shopping period to become officially enrolled in Canvas.
- Students must navigate to courses.brown.edu
- Click on the Log in button on the right.
- Enter a search term (department, course code, instructor, etc.) in the Search box.
- If a course has a published Canvas course, students can click on "Access Canvas" next to the course information.
- A notification will appear that will remind students they must register for the course officially in Banner, and that their temporary access ends after Shopping period.
- Click on "View Canvas" after requesting access. This will bring them to Canvas and they will see your course information.
- At the end of shopping, students can "Remove Access to Canvas" by returning to courses.brown.edu and clicking on the link before the "View Canvas" button.
There may be a short delay between the time a student clicks on "Access Canvas" and the time they are granted access to Canvas.
2. Publicly viewable course content
**NOTE: "Public means public to Brown users only, not publicly available to the world"
Note: students can not participate in discussions nor can they submit assignments
How do I make my course publicly viewable?
- Visitors have access to left navigation tools (except Grades, People, Chat, and Conferences)
- Visitors can see Assignment details but cannot submit an Assignment
- Visitors can view course Files (Docs, PDFs, PowerPoints, images)
- The course is not searchable by people outside Brown via Google or other search engines. It is only accessible by the direct URL that you provide to the course.
- Log into Canvas: http://canvas.brown.edu
- Select your course from the "Courses" top navigation.
- From the left toolbar, select the "Settings" tool.
- Under "Course Details", click on the "Edit Course Details" button.
- Under the "Visibility" option, select the checkbox:
- "Make this course publicly visible (student data will remain private)"
- Click on the "Update Course Details" button.
- You may choose to keep your course publicly viewable. Anyone with the URL can view the course.
View a video tutorial of these instructions