Peer Enhancement of Teaching, Assessment and Learning, or PETAL, is the University’s initiative to enhance the student experience through annual renewal of teaching, assessment and learning.
At Oxford Brookes we want to help our staff and students attain the highest possible standards of teaching, assessment and learning. PETAL aims to improve teaching and shine the spotlight on good practice.
Through PETAL, and this website, you can access:
- Support to make teaching, assessment and learning in your department as good as it can be, moving away from criticism towards improvement, including inspirational stories from across the University
- Up-to-date research on how students learn, making teaching a scholarly-like process
- A model for more effective team-working within your department to embed good practice
- Opportunities to gain reward and recognition from your teaching
- Improved quality assurance so you are reassured that you and your team are working to shared standards
- Ideas for making wider links with others in your subject specialism, resulting in a more satisfying experience
For your students, the PETAL approach offers:
- More consistency between and across lecturers and courses
- Opportunities to reflect meaningfully on their own learning
- A shared responsibility for learning with their tutors
- More engagement in the life of the University and better retention rates
Frequently asked questions are addressed in the page About PETAL
This website aims to provide PETAL resources and guidance to help you to enhance your students' learning experience. Navigate the site using the links on the lefthand bar to the following core sections:
About PETAL: An introduction to the PETAL scheme and how it fits within the University's strategy for continuing professional development for those who teach or support student learning
There are many ways in which you and your department can improve teaching and its recognition. Have a look around the website and if you need help to find resources that could work in your department, please contact your OCSLD Link Developer.