School Shop Safety Rules
- Safety glasses must be worn in all areas of the
shop when machines or tools are in use and as specified by the
- Shoes that cover the entire foot must be worn
when working with tools.
- Hearing protection should be worn in certain
areas of the shop, when loud equipment is in use, as specified by the
- Concentrate on the task at hand and avoid being
distracted by other activities. Conversely avoid distracting others.
- No running, boisterous behavior or horseplay in
- Clothing and jewelry must not be worn that could
become caught in equipment. Long hair should be properly secured so it
doesn’t get caught in machines.
- Vises should be left with the jaws almost closed
and the handles in the vertical position.
- Obtain the instructors permission before
operating machinery. Do not use any tools or equipment without
proper safety and use instruction. Please refrain from “fiddling” or
playing with things that are lying out.
- All work should be properly secured before using
hand or power tools.
- Report any loose, broken or out of adjustment
tools, machines, jigs and fixtures to the instructor immediately.
- Tools, equipment, jigs and fixtures should only
be used in the manner in which they are intended.
- Never test a tool for sharpness by touching its
- Finishing materials (paints, solvents and
stains) should only be used according to instructions in the proper
locations. Brushes, rags and waste must be promptly taken care of in
the correct manner.
- Report any injuries to the instructor
- Help keep the shop clean! Do your cleaning
assignment and leave things neater than you found them.
- Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
- Be prepared: Bring a pencil to class every day and
additional materials as per instruction.
- Follow directions, both written and
spoken, as provided by the teacher.
- Do not talk out of turn. Raise your hand if you
wish to participate in the discussion.
I have reviewed the above rules
with my student and agree to hold them to these standards. I approve of their participation in an Industrial
Name Printed ______________________
As a student I realize that the
above rules are for my protection and will lead to a more organized and
beneficial learning environment for everyone. I will accept
responsibility for my actions and understand that I will be subject to
disciplinary action if I violate the rules.
Name Printed _____________________