HOME‎ > ‎District‎ > ‎District History‎ > ‎

Original High School

Built in 1910; Last Classes in 1926; Razed in 1939

The district's first facility exclusively for high school classes was completed in April, 1910 on Dewey Avenue between 10th and 11th streets. Architect C.W. Squires of Emporia, Kansas designed a brick building with four floors plus a basement and clock tower. Graduation exercises were held for 13 graduates in this building in 1910 although the students had actually attended Garfield their senior year. In 1912-13, ten teachers and the principal taught Physics, Latin, English, Mathematics, German, Commercial Studies, Music, Art, Expression, History, and Economics for grades 9-12; they are pictured at right.

By 1924 the building, designed for 250 students, housed 373 and the district started planning an expansion at Central Junior High School. The last graduating class of 1926 included W.W. Keeler, grandson of both Nelson Carr, the first white man in the area, and George Keeler, co-founder of the Keeler-Johnstone Store. The 1910 building was abandoned in 1926 and sat empty for many years. It was finally razed in 1939 to make way for the Ritz Apartments.

Click images to enlarge them.

BHS in 1910

BHS in 1910

BHS Faculty in 1912

BHS Faculty in 1912

The Ritz Apartments now occupies the site

The Ritz Apartments now occupies the site