HOME‎ > ‎District‎ > ‎District History‎ > ‎

Highland Park

Built in 1909; Original Building Replaced in 1920; Last Classes in 1984; Sold and Demolished in the 1990s

This elementary school was near the intersection of Tuxedo and Washington Boulevard (Highway 75), and was independent of the Bartlesville school district until it was absorbed in 1930. The Tuxedo area was the high ground between Bartlesville and Dewey, used back when the Caney River flooded regularly before Hulah and Copan Lakes brought improved flood control. 

The original 1909 building with its prominent bell tower was demolished and replaced in 1920 with a $17,200 one-story building. The Bartlesville district added a $14,420 expansion in 1938.

A series of additions were made in the late 1940s and early 1950s to accommodate the explosive growth on Bartlesville's east side. There was a $53,411 addition in 1948, an $89,242 addition in 1951, and a $48,500 addition in 1953. Two lots were added to the property in 1974 for $4,500. The school closed in 1984, with its students going to Woodrow Wilson elementary. The building was used for storage until it was demolished and the property sold in the 1990s.

Click images to enlarge them.

Highland's 1909 Building

1909 Building

Highland's 1920 Building

1920 Building

Principal Bill Brewer with Memories of Highland Park

Principal Bill Brewer with Memories of Highland Park