HOME‎ > ‎District‎ > ‎District History‎ > ‎

Carnegie

Purchased in 1929; Closed in 1974

Bartlesville's First Carnegie Library Building opened March 14, 1913 at Seventh and Osage Avenue. In 1929 it was remodeled into the district's administration building. The district's central office eventually moved to the Education Service Center in 1974.

Richard Kane, after whom Richard Kane Elementary is named, was a member of the Bartlesville Landmark Preservation Council and preserving the old Carnegie Library was of special interest to him. He attended kindergarten in the lower level of the library, used it as a child, and attended school board meetings as the school district's attorney in that building from 1947 until the offices were moved in 1974. The restoration, in 1980, of the old Carnegie Library building as his offices was a lasting tribute to the Bartlesville community. The building has received an historic preservation award and has been placed on the Oklahoma Landmarks inventory. The Carnegie building is now the law offices of Kane, Kane, Kane, and Roark.

Click images to enlarge them.

Carnegie Library

Carnegie Library

Soon After Construction?

Soon After Construction?

As Law Offices

As Law Offices