Graduate Program at University of Utah
Pharmaceutics is the science of drug delivery and drug targeting to improve therapies and medicine. This rapidly expanding field now integrates many aspects of modern biomedical science, bioengineering, synthetic, polymer and physical chemistry, cell and molecular biology, and applied math and mass transport modeling. Research spans fundamental science of drug packaging, stability, dosage forms and release control to complex molecular targeting and imaging modalities inside the body, to modeling of drug action
and therapeutic performance. With its international reputation, Utah Pharmaceutics, is ranked #2 nationally for research productivity in the field.
Current research projects involve:
• Gene medicine, including novel therapeutic gene delivery and targeting
• Interfacial properties and performance of biomaterials in medical applications, including implantable devices, diagnostics and bioassays.
• Design and characterization of novel drug delivery systems using new biomaterials (polymers, peptides, nanosystems) and new drug forms (e.g., transgenes, proteins, peptides) to build and control system design, drug release and stability.
• Innovative drug delivery systems that combine new targeting, imaging, and triggered release features to improve therapy.
• Cell-based therapies for metabolic disease
• Basic research in drug metabolism kinetics and mechanisms in the body.
• Studies of drug transport mechanisms into and through biological membranes (such as skin, GI tract, mouth/nose, lung or cell membranes and cell organelles) and through synthetic polymer delivery devices.
• Basic studies of physical and chemical properties of drugs, and influences of bioactive molecule chemical structure on those properties.