E: HISTORY‎ > ‎

1944: 'WOLVERHAMPTON OF THE FUTURE' REPORT

Reproduced below is the section relating to Transport. For details on the rest of the report please go HERE.


Wolverhampton’s industrial development depended upon ease of access to and from the town, for people, raw materials and finished products. In the 1940s there were ten major roads radiating from the town centre, two railway stations and goods depot, a network of canals leading to the main ports, and a Municipal Airport.

Shortly before the outbreak of war in 1939, the Ministry of Transport proposed a scheme for the building of a bypass to connect BIRMINGHAM NEW ROAD with the A41, which could be extended to join STAFFORD ROAD via WOBASTON ROAD. This would have diverted a considerable amount of through traffic, but could have done little to relieve the congestion in the town centre.


The increase in road traffic between 1922 and 1938. The figures show the average daily tonnage which is proportional to the thickness of the black lines.

The Reconstruction Committee felt that the ideal solution would be the building of a central ring road running from PENN ROAD in the south, along SCHOOL STREET and WATERLOO ROAD as far as BATH ROAD, then across to STAFFORD STREET and up FRYER STREET to VICTORIA SQUARE for the bus station. The road would then go along PIPERS ROW, and across to CLEVELAND STREET, from where it joined the PENN ROAD and SCHOOL STREET junction.

The road would provide good access to all the major roads and the town centre. It would have an overall width of 90 feet and consist of dual carriageways 22 feet wide, each with an 8 feet wide lay-by, allowing standing traffic to pull-up outside the main carriageway. There was also a central island that would be fenced so that pedestrians could only cross the road at controlled crossings. Roundabouts were to be constructed at each junction, and frequent breaks in the central island would allow traffic to turn from one carriageway to the other.


The proposed central ring road.

SCHOOL STREET, WATERLOO ROAD, FRYER STREET, PIPERS ROW, and CLEVELAND STREET were all to be widened to accommodate the new road, and a new section would be built between WADHAM'S HILL and STAFFORD STREET, and between STAFFORD STREET and BROAD STREET.

The Central Library would be demolished to make way for the section of the road between PIPERS ROW and CLEVELAND STREET.

The main roads in and out of town were to be widened to 80 feet, and converted into dual carriageways.

The northern end of PENN ROAD would be re-aligned, and WORCESTER STREET would be diverted. A new road would be built along DUNSTALL HILL from Five Ways to GORSEBROOK ROAD.


One of the proposed roundabouts with a pedestrian subway.