Based on the guidelines stipulated by the National Honor Society, the DeSales Chapter of the National Honor Society has created the following application process:
1. Students are invited to apply in the fall of their junior and/or senior year. With the support of the Academic Council the eligibility requirements for the DeSales Chapter of the National Honor Society have changed.
a. Juniors (class of 2013) who apply in the fall of 2011 must have a 3.75 cumulative GPA to receive an invitation to apply to the DeSales Chapter of the National Honor Society.
b. There is no change in eligibility requirement for the class of 2012. Students in the class of 2012 must have a 3.5 cumulative GPA to receive an invitation to apply.
c. This change in eligibility requirements will affect the class of 2013 and beyond.
2. Candidates must have been in attendance at the school the equivalent of one semester.
3. The letter of invitation stipulates that students must attend a meeting where the application process will be explained. Attendance at this meeting is required for the application process to continue.
4. The application is distributed to students who have attended the mandatory meeting via their Bishop Ireton email account. Directions for handling and submitting the application are explained at the meeting and reiterated in the email.
5. Students are instructed to be thorough in filling out the application because when their application is reviewed, the faculty committee will not know whose application they are reviewing, it is a blind review. This is not a time to be modest.
6. Students are instructed to submit their application by the due date. Late applications will not be accepted.
7. The application has three parts.
a. The body of the application asks the student to indicate their accomplishments in the areas of extra-curricular activity, community service, work experience/awards and honors, and leadership. Students are also asked to submit a short writing sample which elaborates on one activity that has meant the most to the student.
b. Students are required to ask for two teacher recommendations. The teacher must be someone who they have had as a classroom teacher for at least a full semester (i.e. teachers they have had in their freshman or sophomore year, for junior applicants). Students fill in their contact information at the top of the teacher recommendation form and sign a release before giving the recommendation to the teacher. The teachers submit the recommendations directly to the National Honor Society moderators.
c. Each student must sign an acknowledgement that they have read and understand the Rules and Guidelines for the DeSales Chapter of the National Honor Society.
8. A committee of faculty meets to review the applications. The committee includes representation from each academic department. In order to ensure impartiality when reviewing the applications, the committee does not know whose application they are looking at, it is a blind review. Points are awarded to the applicant based on the strength of their teacher recommendations, extra-curricular activities, community service, work experience/awards and honors and leadership positions. Applicants must receive a minimum of 12 points, out of a scale of 20, to be accepted to the DeSales Chapter of the National Honor Society.
9. Students will receive a letter informing them of the committee’s decision. Juniors who are not accepted may reapply in their senior year providing they maintain their grade point average.