Temporary Email Alternative for MS Exchange Users
If the Microsoft Exchange server is down for an extended period, you may use BMail, powered by Google, as an alternate email service. This website will provide the information you will need to use http://bmail.binghamton.edu (BMail) to send and receive email messages while the problem to the Exchange service is restored.
NOTE: This change is intended to provide you with a working email system to send and receive email, but your Exchange folders, previously received email and Calendar remain in Exchange and will not be available until Exchange is restored. If you want to permanently change from Exchange to BMail, you should contact the helpdesk for different instructions.
Here are the steps to using bmail.binghamton.edu as an alternative to Exchange.
- If you have already set your BMail password, skip to Step 3.
- f you have not set your BMail password, go to http://password.binghamton.edu and click on the link to BMail and Google Apps for Education Password Reset and follow the instructions to login and set your BMail password.
- Logon to http://bmail.binghamton.edu (BMail)
- Once you have successfully logged into BMail, you must remove the forwarding information in your BMail account temporarily so that your new email messages come to BMail Inbox instead of Exchange. Here are the simple steps to temporarily remove your mail forwarding.
- Click on the "Settings" link in the upper right corner of the page.
- Click on the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" link located in the "settings" window.
- Accurately record and save the forwarding address information in the box after "Forward a copy of incoming mail to" and the setting for the disposition of the mail after it is forwarded. You will need this information to re-etablish your forwarding once the Exchange service is restored.
- Click on the "Disable forwarding" radio button.
- Click on "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the page.
- You may now use BMail to temporarily send and receive email while we work to resolve the problem with the Exchange server.
Once Exchange is restored, go back into “Settings” and reenter the information you saved (above) to reestablish forwarding. The email you received and saved while using BMail will remain in BMail.
Contact the ITS Help Desk at 607-777-6420 if you have any problems or questions.
For updates on the status of this problem, go to the ITS Status Page for current status information.