posted Sep 16, 2012, 3:57 AM by Jeff Dunn
updated Sep 17, 2012, 7:24 PM
In April the HCC endorsed the Sandy Bay Cycleway proposal,
developed over 3 years of consultation and concept refinement. It directed a
small group to progress design work for Stage 1 (Mariewille Esplanade). Instead the group seriously changed the concept for the conflicted Stage 3 (Manning Ave to
Lower Sandy Bay shops) and slipped this through council.
The original design would look like:
- separators between motor vehicles and the
cycleway and a kerb separating the cycleway from the footpath
- Sightlines for accessing properties are improved
by the lack of parking along the kerb.
- A smooth surface uninterrupted by power poles,
driveway crossovers and open doors of parked cars.
The amended proposal would look like:
- insufficient separation between pedestrians and
bike riders (each will stray into other’s space)
- car doors are a hazard to cycleway users
- sightlines for residents accessing their
properties are diminished by the parked cars.
- driveway crossings create ‘dips’ in the surface
reducing rider comfort and safety
- less confident bike riders already legally ride
on the footpath along Sandy Bay Rd, the amended design isn’t offering much
- a very small amount of on-street parking is
recovered. Surveys show this is little used, often only by staff of local
businesses. Properties nearly all have offstreet parking.
We need council to:
- get detailed design work done for the well
supported and technically easy Stages 1, 4 and 5 (so they can proceed if
Federal funding comes through)
- throw out the amended proposal (which was passed
using to vague pictorial “plans”, unsubstantiated claims, and nifty politics.)
What you can do:
- sign the petition
- join our ride in support of the original proposal,
from Lower Sandy Bay shops at 7am on Ride-To-Work Day, 17th October.
Watch for more details.