The 11 General Orders of a Sentry as required in Marine Corps Boot Camp (and after, when performing sentry duty)
- Take charge of this post and all government property in view.
- Walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
- Report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
- To repeat all calls [from posts]more distant from the guardhouse than my own.
- Quit my post only when properly relieved.
- To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Officer of the Day, Officers, and Non-Commissioned Officers of the guard only.
- Talk to no one except in the line of duty.
- Give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
- To call the Corporal of the Guard in any case not covered by instructions.
- Salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
- Be especially watchful at night and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority