Shuldham T. Henry - 1836-1894
Shuldham T. Henry, M.A., LL. B. , was the only son of the late P. Shuldham Henry, D. D. , President of Queen's College, Belfast. Brought up for the English Bar, he relinquished his profession when he was converted to God in the year 1860. As he himself used to say, he "gave up law for grace." He was a gay, thoughtless man of the world, wholly engrossed in its pleasures.

A much loved brother-in-law, an officer in the 91st Argyllshire Regiment, died in his arms, exclaiming, "I am going to Jesus." But this did not seem to affect him beyond the ordinary grief of losing one he loved much. But he was chief mourner, with a little nephew of four years of age; and when his brother-in-law's remains were lowered into the grave, and the words were pronounced, "Ashes to ashes, and dust to dust," God then spake to his soul, and he heard, as it were, a voice saying to him, "If your body was in that coffin now, where would your soul be ?" This was the arrow from God for the awakening of his soul from the sleep of death. Soon after he was in­duced to go and hear Mr. Denham Smith, who at the time was having a great season of blessing at his church at Kingstown, Dublin. Through him Mr. Henry was led into peace and rest. The change in him was great and genuine, and his soul was so filled with love to the Saviour that at once he commenced to work for Him.

Returning to London fresh from the memorable scenes of the Irish Revival, he was led to address children's meetings, with much blessing from God. He then con­ducted the "Additional Theatre Services" in the "Surrey," the "Victoria," the "City of London," and the "Soho" Theatres, supplementing the work of Lord Shaftesbury's committee. Much blessing was the result of this work through the labours of Reginald Radcliffe, Richard Weaver, William Carter, and others. He then became the companion of Reginald Radcliffe, visiting many places in England, Scotland, and Ireland. They were the first English evangelists who preached in Paris, where the Lord greatly blessed the Word. There is no knowing what would have been the result of this work, as the people flocked in crowds to hear about "the love of God," had not the Emperor Napoleon's Minister of the Interior put an end to these public meetings, and only allowed a limited number to meet in private houses. Then he and Mr. Radcliffe separated, the latter going to the call for help in Lancashire during the cotton famine in 1861 and 1862. Mr. Henry then went to Plymouth, where a remarkable work of God commenced; then to County Kerry, where so many of the county gentlemen and their families had been converted, one of whom was Richard Mahoney, of Dromore Castle. For years Mr. Henry was associated with Denham Smith at Merrion Hall, Dublin; Iron Room, Clapton Hall, and St. George's Hall, London, in which latter places he continued to preach for at least two months every year, never without the Lord's gracious help and blessing in the winning of souls.

Shuldham Henry ever tenaciously held to the old paths in all fundamental doctrines of the Scriptures, and the blessed hope of our Lord's speedy return, and was never moved therefrom by modern sophistries.

In November, 1893, he preached for a month in Clapton Hall. On his return to Plymouth he wrote: "It is such an honour to be a soul-winner, and a privilege—that angels might envy—to be allowed to build up His dear people." A rheumatic seizure laid him low; he lingered till 2nd January, 1894, and after uttering the words, "This mortal will soon put on immortality," he passed into the presence of the King.

C. H.


Next Chapter: HILL, Richard
Comments