2. Developing your research question
3. Use pdf merge to merge Google Docs into 1 pdf.
· A 4,000 word study on a topic of interest.
· Candidates select topic within a subject area and then narrow the topic down to a focused research question.
· It is mandatory for all Diploma Candidates.
· The paper presents an extended argument, supported by research that reaches a conclusion.
· Essays will be externally assessed by IB.
· Students are supported throughout the process with advice and guidance from a faculty mentor
Extended Essay Subjects
The subject of the extended essay must be chosen from the list of IB approved subjects. Since IB specifies the range of permitted subjects, certain topics may not be allowed for an extended essay. The subject chosen does not have to be one of the subjects being studied by the candidate for the diploma, but it is advisable that the candidate has sufficient knowledge and skills within that subject. Candidates should also base their choice of subject on the level of personal interest they have in that area.
Bennington Young Writers Awards: Students in grades 10 through 12 can participate in this writing contest. Choose from one of three categories: poetry, fiction or nonfiction personal or academic essay. The deadline is usually November 1 each year. Top prize is $500.
EGirl Essay Contest: The National Academy of Engineering’s EngineerGirl website offers an essay contest on an engineering topic for girls and boys. Awards range from $100 to $500. Winning entries are published online.
The Fountainhead Essay Contest: High school juniors can read Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead and write an essay on one of three topics. Prizes range from $50 to $10,000. The entry deadline is typically in April.
JFK Profile in Courage Essay Contest: Write an essay on a U.S. elected official “who has chosen to do what is right, rather than what is expedient.” The winner gets $10,000, second place gets $1,000 and up to five finalists receive $500 each. The deadline is typically in early January each year.
Scholastic Art & Writing Awards: Apply in one of 28 categories to earn a scholarship and have your artwork exhibited or writing published. Awards range from $500 to $2,500. New submissions are typically accepted beginning in September each year. Deadlines vary by region and contest.