Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Can International Students apply? 

    You must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident (green card holder) in order to receive federal funding through the National Science Foundation. 

  2. Can I apply if I graduated from a different graduate program at Columbia? What if I graduated from a class other than 2013 - 2017? 

    To be eligible for funding through BNTSP, you must hold a baccalaureate STEM degree from one of the four undergraduate colleges at Columbia - Barnard College (BC), Columbia College (CC), the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), or the School of General Studies (GS). You also must have graduated during the academic years: 2012-2013; 2013-2014; 2014-2015; 2015-2016; or 2016-2017. If you graduated in the Fall of 2012 and participated in the graduation ceremony for the Class of 2013, you are eligible. If you participated in the Spring of 2017 graduation ceremony, you are also eligible only if you are not completing a 9th semester since you must enroll full time at Teachers College for the Fall 2017 semester in either Math or Science Pre-Service MA program. 

  3. How is my teaching commitment calculated? 

    Your teaching commitment depends on how many years of support you receive. If you receive support for your senior year and for a 9th semester, you will have a four-year commitment. If you receive scholarship support for the Pre-Service Math or Science MA program at Teachers College for the Fall 2017 - Spring/Summer 2018 academic year, you will have a two-year commitment. 

  4. What is a high-need school district?

    A high-need school district meets at least one of the following criteria:

  5. a.) The district has at least one school in which 50% or more of the students enrolled are eligible and qualify for participation in the free or reduced lunch program.

    b.) The district has at least one school in which:
    i. Over 34% of the academic classroom teachers at the secondary do not have an undergraduate degree with a major/ minor in, or graduate degree in, the academic field in which they teach a large amount of their classes
    ii. Over 34% of the teachers in two academic departments do not have an undergraduate degree with a major or minor in, or a graduate degree in the academic field in which they teach the large amount of their classes.

    iii. The district has at least one school whose teacher attrition rate has been 15% percent or greater over the last three school years. 

  6. How many years do I have to fulfill the teaching requirement?
  7. Scholars have eight years to fulfill the teaching requirement upon completion of either the Barnard Education Program (undergraduates) or their MA degree program at Teachers College (graduates). 

  8. What happens if I do not fulfill the teaching requirement?

    BNTSP Scholarships are forgivable loans. If the scholar does not fulfill the teaching requirement within eight years, AND cannot provide evidence of sincere attempts to do so, the scholarship amount must be paid back plus an annual interest rate as indicated in a Promissory Note signed upon completion of the student's individual program (either undergraduate or graduate). The committee would review the case to determine whether sufficient attempts at meeting the obligations were made.

  9. Can I teach in a charter school or parochial school? 

    Yes, you are able to teach at a charter school or parochial school as long as it meets the guidelines to be considered within a high-need school district.

  10. How do I document my teaching in a high-need school district? 

    At the end of each year of service, you will need to submit an Employment Verification Form to the Program Coordinator that indicates where and when you taught, and that is signed by a principal or other school official attesting to the fact that the school you worked at was located in a high-need district. 

  11. Do I have to stay for a 9th semester? 

    Rising seniors applying for support in the 2017-2018 academic year must stay for a 9th semester in order to complete student teaching and to take advantage of summer internship options. You may participate in the regular commencement exercises for your class year and even receive your degree on time if all your major, general education, and credit requirements are fulfilled. However, the 9th semester provides time to complete Barnard Education Program requirements for initial NYS certification. 

  12. What if I cannot complete the Master of Arts degree program in Science or Math Education at Teachers College by Summer 2018? 

    Funding is currently only available to Columbia University graduates from BC, CC, SEAS, or GS who matriculate in either the Science or Math Education initial certification degree programs at Teachers College by Fall 2017, and complete the program by either Spring or Summer 2018. Students may take courses during both Summer Sessions A & B in Summer 2018 to complete their programs. Eligible recipients may also receive funding for Summer 2017 Session B as long as they apply and have been accepted by the time registration begins (July 5th). Math Education students at TC are encouraged to take advantage of this option to ease the academic burden on their Fall semesters since MSTM5011 is a pre-requisite course for student teaching. 

  13. How is the scholarship awarded to my student account?

    For all undergraduate students who are not on financial aid, the scholarship will be divided between both semesters to reduce the tuition amount paid by your family (up to $15,000 i.e. $7,500/semester, and for $24,500 for the 9th semester).

    For students on financial aid at Barnard, the scholarship is used to reduce the self-help portion of your award package, which includes loans and employment such as Federal Work Study or Barnard College Job (up to $8,100). An additional $6,900 can be received as a stipend over the summer following graduation - however, students should note that this income is taxable. The Noyce scholarship cannot be used to reduce your parental contribution or your summer savings contribution. ***
    The scholarship award does not replace your Barnard grant. 

    For graduate students, the scholarship will be divided between Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters (up to $30,000) in order to reduce tuition. Distribution of funds will be proportional to the distribution of credits for each individual student's unique program. For example, if in Fall 2017 you are enrolled in 12 credits (out of 36 credits required for completion of the Science Education Pre-Service, MA), you will receive 1/3 of the funds ($10,000) for the Fall. Distribution of funds will be reviewed with Professor Rivera on a case-by-case basis and we will require a copy of your invoice for each semester. 

    Graduate students are eligible for Stafford Loans (up to $20,500 per year of unsubsidized Stafford Loans) and Graduate Plus Loans (up to the cost of attendance, including living expenses). The BNTSP Scholarship will be applied to a student's bill as an external scholarship and therefore, your bill will be reduced by the amount proportioned as described above (out of $30,000). In order to do so, you will have to fill out a Third Party Contract Form and we will contact the Bursar at TC regarding the amount we will pay. For students requiring financial aid, in the event that the scholarship amount + your total eligible loan amount exceeds tuition for any given semester, your Graduate Plus Loan amount would be reduced by the scholarship amount. 

  14. What if I do not need the full scholarship amount?

    The minimum amount of scholarship you must accept in your senior year as part of the Noyce program at Barnard is $10,000 and the maximum is $15,000 if you are not on financial aid. If you are on financial aid, you can accept up to $8,100. For your 9th semester, you must accept $24,500 (see the following question). For students on financial aid at Barnard who cannot use the full amount to offset tuition, you may use the additional funds ($6,900 or more, totaling to $15,000) for the following:

    a) New York State Certification Expenses: The fees for your NYS certification exams, NYS certification workshops, and NYS application can be reimbursed (Currently $792).
    b) An Induction Fund: This fund can reimburse you for classroom materials, professional development workshops or conferences, or summer courses.

    Graduate students at Teachers College must accept the full $30,000 scholarship award. 

  15. How does the 9th-semester funding work?

    The 9th-semester funding ($24,500) pays for up to 10 points of tuition at Barnard and includes additional funds for housing and living expenses. Once your tuition is credited, you will receive a reimbursement check for the additional funds.

  16. Why does the program have a preferred GPA of 3.3?

    The Barnard Noyce Teacher Scholars Program seeks highly qualified applicants. However, we are aware that for many STEM majors, a B+ (3.3) grade is considered a solid performance. We will consider applicants with slightly lower GPAs on a case-by-case basis.