All students must check in each week!
The only payment options available are weekly payments or total semester prepayments. No other options are available. We ask that you do not prepay for a few weeks at a time, this makes record-keeping difficult for the instructor.
Cash Payment - Put class fee in an envelope with student’s first and last name on envelope. Drop envelope into the check-in box. There is no need to wait in line unless you do not have an envelope.
Check Payment - Make checks payable to Young Champions. Put the student’s first and last name in the “memo” area of the check (lower left-hand corner). Checks must be pre-printed with current address. A phone number and a driver’s license number are required for all checks. Put the check in envelope and drop into the check-in box.
Checks returned for non-sufficient funds or closed accounts are recovered by a check recovery company and will be assessed a penalty fee (the maximum allowed by law) plus all costs of collection will be added to all returned checks. Payment for returned checks, must be made to the check recovery company. Young Champions & its employees can not accept payment on returned items.
Prepaid - Students who prepay the entire semester receive prepaid slips. Each week cut a prepaid slip out, put the student’s first and last name on the slip. Drop the slip into the check-in box.
Note: Each week parents are required to sign their children into class by recording the student’s name & amount paid on the attendance sheet (located by the check-in box).
We know that there may be times when your child can not attend class. Missed classes, can be made up by attending two classes back-to-back (their regular class and the class either before or after their regular class). Make-up classes must be pre-paid or paid the day the make-up is done.
Please inform the class secretary at the check-in table that your child will be taking (2) classes. Don’t forget to explain to your child when they are doing a make up class.
All missed classes must be made up BEFORE belt rank testing. Students without perfect attendance will receive a certificate and medal. Students may make the classes up the following semester, and test before the next scheduled test.
Please, physically walk your child to and from the facility and teaching area; we do not want children going outside alone. Do not drop off your child and drive away without first ensuring that the classroom is open and the instructor is present. It is required that you, as parent or guardian, sign your child in every week so that accurate perfect attendance records can be kept!
If you wait in your car during your child’s class, please come inside 5 minutes prior to the end of class to walk your child out to your car. Please explain to your child the he/she is required to wait in our holding area, until you pick them up after class. All students are required to wait in a holding area, students will not be allowed to leave or wait outside!
Exception to this rule applies only if a parent signs a Walker Release Form giving the student permission to walk to and from class without an adult.
PLEASE be on time for pick-up! Instructors will not tolerate parents who abuse this rule.
We do not give refunds for prepaid students after the third week of class. This is due to fixed insurance costs occurred by the forth week of class. Any refunds after the third week of class will be issued as class credit vouchers. Registration fees and classes already taken will not be refunded. Refund requests must be submitted in writing to the Young Champions office. No refunds are given for apparel, which has been worn or used. Merchandise must be returned to the Young Champions office. The refund process can take as long as 8 weeks.
Young Champions communicates with parents and students through written communication such as notes and fliers regarding upcoming events, class cancellations, etc.
If a class must be canceled due to a school activity, etc., we will issue a note usually the week prior to the cancellation. If your child misses a class, please call the Young Champions office or log-on to our website at www.ycoakarate.com to view missed class notes, class calendars, and other up to date information.
We take great steps to provide the safest, uninterrupted learning environment for your child. Parents are invited to watch the first lesson and the awards program. Spectators are discouraged during regular classes as children get easily distracted and may not focus on the instructor’s instructions. An environment with minimal distractions provides a better learning atmosphere. Please respect our “no spectator rule”.
To prevent unwanted guests and strangers in the classroom, Young Champions, our sponsors, and facilities require everyone to sign-in on the forms provided. Parents are encouraged to volunteer as “Parent Helpers”. Volunteers are needed in each class to assist the instructor. Parents, when volunteering as helpers please read and sign the Parent Helper Sign-In Sheet located by the check-in box. All parent helpers must also wear a Parent Helper I.D. badge, which will be given after sign-in. Parent Helpers must sign in each week.
If you sign in as a Parent Helper, then you will be required to assist with class. Parent Helpers are not allowed to sit down and merely observe the class. If we allow this then other parents will view this as unfair. Due to facility size constraints, instructors reserve the right to limit the number of parent helpers needed.
1. Please sign the Parent Helper sign-in sheet before assisting class.
2. Please do not bring other children to class!
3. Parent Helpers at no time may discipline students, always alert the Instructor to problems. ALWAYS BE COURTEOUS & POLITE WHEN TALKING WITH STUDENTS & PARENTS.
4. Please use a calm and reassuring tone of voice while talking to students.
5. Use positive reinforcement towards students. Example “Good job, you’re doing very well!” Never “belittle a student.”
6. Parent Helpers must always go in pairs when escorting students to bathrooms, and must wait outside the door. If no other Parent Helpers are available, have the class secretary or advanced student assist you. Parent Helpers are not allowed to enter the restroom with the students.
7. Please be as quiet as possible during class; noisy helpers will be asked to wait outside.
8. Parent Helpers at no time may get into instructor’s inventory, drop box, or class roster book. See instructor for assistance.
9. Please dress in appropriate clothing to assist class. Example, do not wear bikini tops, mini skirts, t-shirts with foul language, etc. Tennis shoes are highly recommended.
Helpful tasks to assist instructor
1. Guard all exits, do not allow students to leave the facility unless with a parent or guardian.
2. Keep a helpful eye on students in class, look for students who may have to use the bathroom or who may be getting sick. Watch for dangerous situations and advise the instructor immediately.
3. Help with lining up students and preparing students for class.
4. Watch instructor’s teaching gear and belongings.
5. Help instructor to keep facility clean and put back into order at the end of class.
6. Help with holding body shields, etc.
Every Fall and Spring semester we offer a raffle to give our students the opportunity to earn “Young Champions credits” to purchase Young Champions merchandise. Students are NOT required to participate.
How would you like to earn a new uniform, sweatshirt, or other Young Champions gear? Raffles allow students the opportunity to collect donations to help purchase a karate Gi and other equipment. All donations you collect can be used towards purchasing equipment and merchandise from your instructor.
The raffle will start the second to third week of class. Approach relatives, friends, parents’ co-workers, and neighbors, but don’t go door-to-door! You can say: “Hello, I’m in the Young Champions Karate Program. I am trying to earn my karate uniform and other equipment. We are holding a raffle with a Grand prize of a $500.00 retail gift certificate and other great prizes. I have a raffle ticket for you. You are not required to make a donation for this ticket, but if you would like to make a donation to help me earn my equipment I would really appreciate it!” The average donation is $1.00 a ticket ( if someone does not want to support you but wants a ticket, you must give them one ticket).
Our raffle drawing will be held at our last Young Champions event of the semester. Winners do not have to be present to win.
Donations can be made in cash or check made payable to “Young Champions.” Have the contributor write down their name, area code, and phone number on the back of the ticket and put it in your envelope along with your donations. They keep the half that says " Keep this Coupon.” If you run out of tickets, your instructor can give you more.
The raffle is provided as a way to defray the cost of equipment. Participation is not required—just return the envelope to your instructor.
What do I do with my tickets and donations?
Students – as soon as you have earned enough to purchase the equipment you want, put all the filled-out tickets and donations in your raffle envelope. On the outside of the envelope, check off the item(s) you wish to purchase. Be sure to mark what size and color you need. Then write the total amount of donations enclosed on the top of the envelope. Fill out your name, phone number, and your class location on the front. Once everything is completed, seal the envelope. Return the completed envelope to your instructor. Be sure to separate all tickets. Only separated tickets will be eligible for the prize drawing.
Young Champions takes great pride in offering high quality, low-cost programs for children. To maintain the lowest possible program costs, Young Champions must offset rising expenses by doing various fundraisers. These funds offset increasing insurance costs, class awards, instructor equipment, class notes, and other rising expenses.
We would like the support of everyone involved with our organization in following a few simple rules, which our staff will enforce, and are required by the schools or facilities where we teach.
· All school facilities require a smoke-free environment. Please do not smoke while on school or other facility grounds.
· Anyone on facility grounds while our programs are being taught who is suspected of consuming or being under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants will be asked to leave. If he/she refuses to do so, the authorities will be called.
· All facilities require that our instructors leave the teaching area and restrooms in the exact condition in which they were found. If these areas are left dirty or damaged in any way, our programs could be canceled. Please assist us in keeping our teaching facilities clean by stressing the importance of this to your child.
· Please help us monitor by notifying the instructor if anyone is being destructive to the facility. Please keep close tabs on your children. Do not let them be in or around the facility without adult supervision.
· All facilities require that parents of students remain in designated teaching areas. Wandering around the facility is NOT permitted.
· When bringing your child to class - arrive ONLY 10-minutes before your scheduled class time.
· Park in designated parking areas. Parking in fire lanes may result in your car being ticketed or possible loss of facility use entirely!
· All children are prohibited from playing on the school playgrounds.
· Pets, food and drink (except water) are not allowed in the facility (there are NO exceptions).
· If the Coach requests spectators to wait outside due to lack of space or distractions, please respect his/her wishes.
· Please encourage good sportsmanship and demonstrate positive support for all students, coaches, and officials at every class and event.
Thank you for your cooperation.
What's Happening! >