Subscribe to GIS@ACC and we'll email you any job and industry announcements posted on this website.
GrantWorks is an Austin based grant management consulting firm serving rural City and County governments throughout Texas. The GIS/Mapping Intern will support the Planning Department with preparing land use, zoning, infrastructure, and related maps as part of Comprehensive Plans and associated tasks as needed.
The preferred candidate will be familiar with ArcGIS, Microsoft Office Suite, Census data, and basic data management. Specifically, the candidate should have knowledge and expertise of ArcGIS methodology, geographic, and cartographic principles, and comprehension of projections, datums and coordinate systems. Experience with editing and working within geodatabases required. Prior experience with Census data acquisition and analysis a plus.
This is a seasonal part-time position expected to last six (6) months. Base pay rate is $12 to $14 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications. We are seeking to fill this position with someone who can begin work immediately.
Please submit your resume, references, and work samples to email@example.com with subject “GIS / Mapping Intern.” In your email, tell us why you are a good fit for this position.
City of Austin GIS Analyst and ACC GIS alumnus Charlie Boa just emailed me a link to Radio Garden...an amazing new site where you dial-in radio stations from around the world by spinning the globe. Checkout this NPR article by Deepak Singh or just dial-in to Radio Garden to hear what's happening out there.
Are you looking to extend your skills as a GIS professional? ACC GIS is a great place to learn GIS skills you can apply in the workplace. We're currently enrolling students for the 2017 Spring Semester in the following courses:
- GISC 1401 GIS and GPS - Learn how to collect recreational/mapping/survey-grade GPS data in the field and then use GIS to analyze it in the office.
- GISC 2231 Advanced Problems in GIS - Extend your skills by creating and analyzing a GIS network, 3D model of Barton Springs, satellite images of the Highland Lakes, and geostatisitcal gang-related crime data.
- GISC 2420 Intermediate GIS - Know the basics, but want to learn more. In Intermediate GIS students will focus on extending their GIS analytical skills.
- GISC 2435 Programming for GIS - Learn Python for GIS and enhance your value as a GIS professional.
Banks Environmental Data is seeking candidates to fill a research analyst position. The research analyst processes incoming orders, prepares environmental data reports using GIS software and tools, and provides support for clients. Additional responsibilities include data gathering and QA/QC on a large spatial database. We are a small company with a close-knit team and are looking for someone who can work independently with minimal supervision. Workloads can be heavy with tight deadlines. The ideal candidate must remain resilient under pressure and demonstrate a willingness to complete projects with precision and enthusiasm. This is a full-time, $15/hour position with salary, benefits & training. Email cover letter, resume, and LinkedIn profile to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews start on January 3rd.
Responsibilities include compiling environmental data reports and processing orders- environmental records research and mapping, compiling and georeferencing images, data entry/geocoding, and assisting with daily tasks in the department and the environmental division. Additionally, assisting the department manager with day-to-day workflow, client communication, and general office duties.
Banks hires resourceful critical thinkers who work diligently on their own as well as in collaboration with a team. Ideal candidates enjoy research projects and possess the following skills:
- Acute attention to detail
- Spatial awareness/GIS training
- Excellent typing skills
- A sharp eye for quality control
- A can-do attitude
- Organization skills
- Great phone/people skills
Biosphere 2 serves as a laboratory for controlled scientific studies, an arena for scientific discovery and discussion, and a far-reaching provider of public education. This Summer, the Biosphere 2 REU is providing 10 undergraduates an opportunity to conduct guided research in environmental and Earth systems science at a leading and unique research institution. Students will receive stipends of $5,000 for the 10-week research internship, housing on the Biosphere 2 campus, $500 to cover travel costs to and from Tucson, AZ and a food allowance. For 2017, the program runs from June 5 to August 11. Students will be selected from across the country to participate in the program. They will conduct research inside Biosphere 2, in labs on the University of Arizona campus, and in the desert and mountain ecosystems of southern Arizona. For more information, see the Biosphere 2 REU Summer Program website.
Survey and Mapping Incorporated (SAM Inc.) is searching for an organized and task-driven, experienced Geospatial Technician II to join our Geospatial Department. This position is responsible for assisting certified photogrammetrists and mapping professionals plan, process, calibrate, analyze, adjust, or otherwise convert geospatial data in the form of LiDAR or imagery into aerial mapping products including planimetric and topographic maps. For more information and to apply for this position, see Job ID 16-1946
on the SAM website.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Daily processing of geospatial data, including evaluating accuracy and sufficiency, and ensuring compliance to applicable project and industry standards related to aerial/mobile mapping products.
- Airborne GPS/IMU processing
- LiDAR Calibration and building projects.
- Classification of LiDAR point clouds
- Compilation of mapping features from LiDAR point clouds
- Quality Control
- Other duties as assigned
Required Experience - Education and Skills:
- Experience working with airborne and mobile LiDAR datasets
- Experience calibrating LiDAR data sets from airborne and/or mobile LiDAR systems
- Airborne GPS/IMU processing
- 3-5 years progressive experience in CAD
- 3-5 years progressive experience with spreadsheets or GIS tools
- 3-5 years progressive experience with LiDAR classification
- 3-5 years experience with compilation from LiDAR or stereo imagery
- Excellent computer and technical skills, including Auto CAD and/or MicroStation and MS Office Suite
- Proficient in technical math, including Geometry and Trigonometry
- Strong listening, writing and verbal communication skills
- Proven work history, strong work ethic and team-player attitude
The San Antonio River Authority (SARA) is seeking candidates for a several GIS Intern positions. See the job posting
on the SARA website for more information and to apply for this position.
- Study data stored in the River Authority’s GIS Database and document any issues observed based on a provided dataset list.
- Study GIS mapping works, typical map production, and River Authority map templates generated.
- Fulfill data and map requests for both internal and external customers
- Troubleshoot ESRI software issues and provide technical support to agency’s GIS users
- Perform digital feature extraction from multiple data sources
- Study and understand metadata standards, understand what these standards require, and understand what US standard on metadata is (FGDC). Understand different data types from Geoportal perspective (services, live data, and others).
- Upload metadata to the geoportal using various techniques and tools, and document procedures and issues observed during the upload.
- Assist in enhancing the geoportal through development of additional tools and functionalities.
- Represent the River Authority in a professional manner, as needed to promote its mission and purpose.
- All other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High school education or G.E.D. with at least two-semesters completed at an accredited college or university;
- college major in Geography, Engineering or Environmental Science with use of Geographic Information Systems.
- Knowledgeable of GIS concepts and methods, current procedures and technologies;
- Experience with ESRI products with specific proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Online;
- inspecting, creating, and editing geospatial data, building and working in geodatabases, and performing spatial analysis using built-in tools and functions;
- experience working with ArcGIS for Server, and other tools such as Story Maps is a plus;
- experience with enterprise geodatabases and RDMSs ideal;
- knowledge and/or experience related to water resources and environmental sciences is helpful;
- must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint;
- must have the ability to multi-task and effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- must be organized and manage time efficiently;
- must be able to collaborate with staff in reaching the department goals and objectives;
- follows all safety rules and regulations when performing work duties remembering safety is first and will not be disregarded for speed or ease.
Volt Workforce Solutions is seeking candidates for GIS/CAD Technician role in the Austin area with a prominent and advancing Tech company. Full description below. For more information and to apply for this position, please contact Chloe Walsh at email@example.com
- Full-time, one year contract position working in teams on spatial data projects supporting engineers and data teams.
- Responsible for content analysis, validation, cleansing, collection and reporting. Analyze and validate data content and assemble new content from various sources, including databases, files/spreadsheets, and websites.
- Follow written instructions and data specifications.
- Respond to data inquiries from managers.
- Create and publish regularly scheduled and/or ad hoc reports as needed.
- One to two years’ experience using GIS software for spatial analysis
- Background and related coursework in Urban Planning, Architecture, Geography or GIS
- Database experience with SQL, scripting experience with Python
- Internet research skills and experience
- BS/BA or MS/MA in Geography, GIS, Architecture, Urban Planning, Interior Design or Engineering.
- Certificate in GIS with 1-2 years experience
- Experience with CAD/BIM applications with an emphasis on AutoCAD
- Good report writing and communication skills
An Austin tech firm is seeking candidates for over 25 GIS Analyst contract positions. Rates will be between $15-18/hr. for these junior to mid level positions. Contact Harshal Shekatkar at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to apply for these positions.
- Good knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Analyze, validate and enhance data content and assemble new content
- Updating various training materials
- Prepare routes, maps, and pick up locations
The City of Austin Transportation Department is seeking candidates for an IT Geospatial Analyst. The IT Geospatial Analyst will be part of the newly formed Data and Technology Management Services group of the Systems Development Division of the Austin Transportation Department. This position will support the Office of Special Events, Right of Way Management, and the Vision Zero Program managed by the Active Transportation and Street Design Division. This is a full-time position that pays between
$21.31 – $28.15 an hour. The job responsibilities are listed below. See City of Austin job position number 116155
for more information and to apply for this position.
- Responsible for all map and data creation for the Office of Special Events, Right of Way Management, and the Active Transportation and Street Design Division.
- Support advancement of Evaluation related actions in the Vision Zero Action Plan.
- Provide any analytical requests, including combining data from a variety of data sources.
- Maintain online web maps and data.
- Maintain tools such as the Vision Zero View and Vision Zero Input tools as a platform for sharing traffic safety data with the public as well as partner agencies.
- Support data analysis and exhibit preparation necessary to advance street safety projects for the Active Transportation and Street Design Division
- Responsible for representing the assigned divisions at technical and other coordination meetings.
- Train, QC, and serve as technical lead and resource on assigned projects for the Office of Special Events, Right of Way Management, and the Active Transportation and Street Design Divisions. This include the creation and implementation of geospatial standards and operating procedures.
- Primary contact for user acceptance testing for GIS applications for assigned divisions.
- Monitor developments in the field of geospatial technology, determine their potential effect upon the organization, and recommend procedural and equipment changes to ensure compliance with service and/or operational level agreements.
- May assist with other Austin Transportation Department projects as needed.