Agencies issuing weather announcements use the terms watch and warning when referring to tornados. These terms are defined as follows:
TORNADO WATCH means conditions are favorable for the possibility that a tornado might develop.
TORNADO WARNING means a funnel cloud has been sighted and you need to take the necessary precautions.
- ATSU will not announce a watch since this is so common during springtime.
- It is suggested that those with radios be tuned in for weather data when it appears that threatening weather may be in the area.
- When a TORNADO WARNING is issued for the Mesa area, a notification received by the Help Desk and/or Switchboard from the Weather Channel will be distributed to all on the Mesa Campus. After receiving the e-mail and/or hearing the overhead page, departments are to proceed with the following procedures.
- Move all people to an inner room or hall where there are no outside windows, or move them to the designated area. Be sure to account for all staff.
- Remain in those areas until an “all clear” is given.
- Avoid all areas where flying debris may occur. Close fire doors when appropriate and if time permits.