Notification to Students in residence
Procedures for reporting and for Investigating Missing Students
- Students in residence will be informed that they have the option to identify a confidential emergency contact, who would be contacted by the institution if there is reason to believe that the student is missing or otherwise believed to be in danger. The student may provide a telephone number for that contact to the Student and Alumni Affairs Office, who will maintain the information. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that the contact information is up to date and accurate. If the student declines to give a confidential emergency contact local law enforcement will still be notified when the student is deemed missing. Students under the age of 18 and not emancipated; thus their parent or guardian will be notified.
- Students in residence should inform the Student and Alumni Affairs Office immediately, when genuine concern has been raised that a student is missing. Further, this notification to the Student and Alumni Affairs Office will trigger a formal investigation process that will be handled in collaboration with the Department of Security and or local law enforcement agencies.
STUDENT AND ALUMNI AFFAIRS Monday-Friday ext. 6028
- If it is suspected that a student in residence is missing, the Student and Alumni Affairs Office in collaboration with the Department of Security and other University staff will conduct a preliminary investigation in order to verify the situation, and will obtain information around circumstances that relate to the student in question. That preliminary investigation may include but is not limited to a check of the student’s residence, calls to the resident’s room and/or cell phone, review of class schedules, and conversations with roommates and other community members or friends.
- If at any point during the preliminary investigation circumstances appear suspicious or if all available avenues within the Student and Alumni Affairs Office and the Department of Security’s control have been exhausted. The Mesa Police Department will be notified at this time to do a formal investigation in to the missing student. The Vice President Student and Alumni Affairs will make notification to the confidential contact designated by the student, if the student is deemed missing through investigative efforts. That contact will be made within 24 hours of that determination.
- If a student in residence is located and their status and well being have been verified following a missing persons report or investigation, staff should notify Student and Alumni Affairs Office and Security immediately.