Although a large percentage of all bomb threats are eventually found to be hoaxes, immediate action at the earliest notification of a threat is imperative to avoid the possible loss of life and property or personal injury and to avert panic.
Notification of a bomb threat
Initiation of bomb threat procedure
- The single most important function of the person who initially receives a bomb threat is to gain as much information from the caller as possible. Again, remain calm and attempt to gain as much information from caller as possible, i.e., reason for threat, help in identifying caller, location of bomb, time of detonation and any other information that would help to locate bomb.
- Immediately write down any information gained from caller
- Immediately notify department head, supervisor, or their designee of affected area, ATSU Security, and Mesa Police Department (MPD).
- Security will meet MPD to take them to the area. Upon arrival of MPD, follow their instructions.
- MPD will make preparation to evacuate and where to reassemble. DO NOT LEAVE ASSEMBLY AREA. You may be called on to identify suspicious objects in your area.